HURRICANE MARIA / BE PREPARED / BE SMART

The help window for services ends at 35mph winds. You are on your own.. even for a heart attack.
They are overwhelmed when the storm ends. BUT.. ENDLESS BUSY SIGNALS ON YOUR PHONE.
They can only do so much.. can you blame them? Superman is only a comic book fantasy creation. Our real heroes are tied up with hundreds of thousands of calls.
Yes, those guys are heroes for sure. They do what no one else will. I think they should get paid better.

I started this thread a new topic since the others turned into cooking recipes and show and tell of the aftermath.
THE SEASON IS NOT OVER AND A NEW THREAT IS OFF SHORE.
While we are licking our wounds we need TO PREPARE for another attack from Mother Nature.
2004.. Florida was hit by 4 HURRICANES.. a record.
Don't think the season is over. Don't let your guard down.
IMG_20170911_131801.jpg

We went 6 1/2 days with no power/water pump/stove/landline-internet.
You could be last in line for restoration of services.
NO AIR CONDITION.
IMG_20170911_130230.jpg

We have an old school generator.. meaning it smokes a little and burns oil. If you have a generator, have a few quarts of back up SAE 30 OIL and check the oil level every time you add gas. OR YOU WILL DESTROY the engine from overuse.

IF YOU HAVE A GENERATOR (NEW OR OLD) DO NOT RUN IT ON YOUR PORCH OR GARAGE OR IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!!!
CARBON MONOXIDE WILL KILL YOU IN YOUR SLEEP.
YOU NEED A LONG POWER CORD AND CHAIN IT TO A TREE IF YOU FEEL SOMEONE MIGHT WANT TO STEAL IT.
DON'T RUN IT NEAR AN OPEN HOUSE WINDOW, SHUT IT OFF AT NIGHT BEFORE YOU SLEEP. YOUR REFRIG WILL HOLD THE COLD OVER NIGHT.

dON'T PLUG IT INTO YOUR HOUSE CONNECTION! YOU CAN KILL THE UTILITY GUYS IF THEY ARE HOOKING YOUR LINE BACK UP.
IMG_20170911_132010.jpg

DO NOT DRIVE OVER OR UNDER ANY DOWNED POWERLINES. ASSUME THEY ARE HOT.

IMG_20170911_131753.jpg

THESE ARE ALL PICS FROM MY NEIGHBORHOOD AFTER IRMA PASSED OVER..

I lived in FL for a long time. I was there in 2004. Sure gets on your nerves wondering all the time and watching the weather channel 24/7. It is a heck of a dilemma knowing when or if to go. You miss work and spend extra money leaving if it does not hit, and you can die if you stay and it does hit.
We were lucky the whole time we lived there, never hit with a major storm.
Now i live in Virginia and i just worry about friends and family down there.

I lived in FL for a long time. I was there in 2004. Sure gets on your nerves wondering all the time and watching the weather channel 24/7. It is a heck of a dilemma knowing when or if to go. You miss work and spend extra money leaving if it does not hit, and you can die if you stay and it does hit.
We were lucky the whole time we lived there, never hit with a major storm.
Now i live in Virginia and i just worry about friends and family down there.
Frances bent over our tv tower going by. When the winds changed direction, she bent it back kinda straight. We took it down anyway. Our windows were boarded up all summer and fall. I WILL NEVER EVER OWN ANOTHER HOME WITH A PLASTIC SKYLIGHT DOME OMG!!

When my parents replaced the windows in their house they had to spend a fortune on those storm rated windows. But it would make you feel a bit more secure.
Bob fastened DH Steel roofing sheets on the windows. Your neighbors lawn furniture turns into missiles when they evacuate without CLEANING UP THEIR YARD and securing their outdoor chairs and tables.

IF YOU EVACUATE, IT IS COMMON COURTESY TO SECURE YOUR OUTDOOR ITEMS TO PROTECT YOUR NEIGHBORS PROPERTY AS WELL.

Attachments

• IMG_20170909_123152.jpg
    IMG_20170909_123152.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 5
Bob fastened DH Steel roofing sheets on the windows. Your neighbors lawn furniture turns into missiles when they evacuate without CLEANING UP THEIR YARD and securing their outdoor chairs and tables.

IF YOU EVACUATE, IT IS COMMON COURTESY TO SECURE YOUR OUTDOOR ITEMS TO PROTECT YOUR NEIGHBORS PROPERTY AS WELL.
My parents always had pvc outdoor furniture so when a storm threatened they would just throw it in the swimming pool. The chlorine in the water cleans it up nicely too.

Back
Top Bottom