Hurt Duck, Not eating, HELP!!

Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
Saturday at 3 PM my chickens and ducks were attacked by a fox. One of the ducks got hurt, and i cleaned his wounds, but medicine on them and have been keeping him inside a dog crate in the house while he heals. He drinks water just fine, but he hasn't touched his food. Its been a few days and i am worried...anything i can do? Should i try feeding him something other than his normal feed? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Saturday at 3 PM my chickens and ducks were attacked by a fox. One of the ducks got hurt, and i cleaned his wounds, but medicine on them and have been keeping him inside a dog crate in the house while he heals. He drinks water just fine, but he hasn't touched his food. Its been a few days and i am worried...anything i can do? Should i try feeding him something other than his normal feed? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Shock should have worn off by now, maybe try making him a gruel with his feed and some nice warm water. that may help. can you get some poultry vitamins to add to his drinking water, in a pinch some Apple Cider vinegar would help put some electrolytes in his system 1-2 Tab to 1 gal of water plastic not metal What kind of wounds? and meds should never have pain relief in them.

It's very important to get him eating as soon as possible. Have you tried his favorite treats mixed with his regular food? Corn, mealworms, and kale are some good things to give sickly/skinny ducks to get them started eating.

Shock should have worn off by now, maybe try making him a gruel with his feed and some nice warm water. that may help. can you get some poultry vitamins to add to his drinking water, in a pinch some Apple Cider vinegar would help put some electrolytes in his system 1-2 Tab to 1 gal of water plastic not metal What kind of wounds? and meds should never have pain relief in them.
Thanks. I don't think i can go get anything. I did put some apple cider vinegar into his water, what do you mean by plastic not metal? The wounds are mostly bite marks on his chest and stomach, not gaping or anything. I kinda worded it wrong...i didn't actually give him meds, it was a first aid ointment that i put directly on his wounds.

It's very important to get him eating as soon as possible. Have you tried his favorite treats mixed with his regular food? Corn, mealworms, and kale are some good things to give sickly/skinny ducks to get them started eating.
Thanks for the ideas :) He is actually new, i haven't even had him for 2 weeks so i'm not sure what he likes...i'll try some of those though.

Thanks. I don't think i can go get anything. I did put some apple cider vinegar into his water, what do you mean by plastic not metal? The wounds are mostly bite marks on his chest and stomach, not gaping or anything. I kinda worded it wrong...i didn't actually give him meds, it was a first aid ointment that i put directly on his wounds.

Thanks for the ideas :) He is actually new, i haven't even had him for 2 weeks so i'm not sure what he likes...i'll try some of those though.
Use plastic water containers when using ACV . Watch the wounds real close because of infection you may need to put him on some oral antibiotics. Some would right off but that is up to you, but Foxes, raccoons etc do have bacteria in their mouths that could cause infection so something to be aware of.

Take a close look at those wounds - you may need to snip the feathers away from the edges.

You can make gruel by soaking grains in warm - not hot - water, then letting him drink the water. He will get some nutrients and electrolytes from that.

If you have any brewer's or nutritional yeast, float a little of that in some water see if he takes it. Make a leafy green vegetable drink for him - add a handful of leafy edible greens in a cup of water run it through a blender or food processor.

He may be sore and swallowing may hurt - so liquid lunch is on the menu.

He may be pining for company. I often will get a companion duck into sick bay with the patient. At least an unbreakable mirror.

Use plastic water containers when using ACV . Watch the wounds real close because of infection you may need to put him on some oral antibiotics. Some would right off but that is up to you, but Foxes, raccoons etc do have bacteria in their mouths that could cause infection so something to be aware of.
ok, thanks :) I will try to get my hands on some oral antibiotics.

Take a close look at those wounds - you may need to snip the feathers away from the edges.

You can make gruel by soaking grains in warm - not hot - water, then letting him drink the water. He will get some nutrients and electrolytes from that.

If you have any brewer's or nutritional yeast, float a little of that in some water see if he takes it. Make a leafy green vegetable drink for him - add a handful of leafy edible greens in a cup of water run it through a blender or food processor.

He may be sore and swallowing may hurt - so liquid lunch is on the menu.

He may be pining for company. I often will get a companion duck into sick bay with the patient. At least an unbreakable mirror.
Ok, thank you so much...i will try this :) I haven't tried looking at the wounds closely, cause he is a pretty wild duck, not tame. I actually rescued him and his mate a couple weeks ago from a place where they had no water and really dirty place to live. Do you think it is worth the stress to him to take a close look and snip the feathers? He hates being handled and struggles so much that i'm worried he'll hurt himself by opening the wounds or something.

Poor guy. If you think it will over stress him, let it be. Get his mate in there with him, give him a lukewarm bath, and since you cannot really get a good close look, I think I would get the oral antibiotics going.

I have an adopted flock and it is more difficult to handle them when there is a problem.

yeah, it is more difficult. It's really rewarding adopting them though :)

I just tried giving him water from the soaked grains, and practically made a face and spit them out. i am trying to see if he'll eat some greens or meal worms. I'll try the green smoothie if that doesn't work
hu.gif

Do you have a suggestion about what oral stuff i should use?

Back
Top Bottom