Hurt hen--need some advice

rosawoodsii

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
A varmint got into my hen house last night and got one of my chickens, but didn't kill it outright. As soon as I heard the commotion I was out the door and the critter was over the fence. I thought it had taken the hen, but I doubly secured the door and later heard chicken squawking again. The critter had come back, and unbeknownst to me, the missing hen was still there, hidden away at the back of the coop, and my flashlight missed it. Twice. Third time I heard a squawk I was out the door in a flash (I didn't get much sleep last night), and this time I found the hen, her head lolling, feathers missing from her behind, and wheezing awfully. No wonder, poor girl! She'd been attacked three times. I feel awful for not having seen her with my flashlight beam earlier. I think the varmint was a raccoon, btw, because I had plastic eggs in the outdoor nest box and they were taken apart. I don't know any other critter that dexterous--or that persistent.

Anyway, I took the hen into the house, treated her homeopathically with Carbo Vegitalis 30C and followed it with Arnica 30C. She revived a little, and later on I gave her Aconite 30C, which I probably should have given her for the shock first. I wasn't thinking well. She occasionally lifts her head and looks around, but basically isn't eating or drinking. I'd like to save this hen if I can. I can give her water with a dropper, but I'm not sure how to get her to eat, or what to feed her.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or experience.

Last edited:
Check her whole body VERY carefully to see if there are any wounds......especially small puncture wounds. I'm concerned that you said she is wheezing. Could she have a punctured lung? If so there is nothing you can do and I would put her down.

Keep her in the house and make sure she drinks. Gatorade will help keep her from getting dehydrated. To get her to eat make her treats. Try scrambled egg (cooled) mixed with a little cottage cheese. Oatmeal mixed with yogurt or corn cut from the cobb. Anything to get food into her. You can also try a wet mash made with gatorade and her pellets.

If the feathers missing from her behind caused a wound rinse her with peroxide (only use peroxide once) and dry and put antibiotic ointment on it. Make sure the ointment doesn't have pain killer ingredients in it. It's toxic to chickens.

Give her time and see if she comes around.

She has a couple of 1/4 deep wounds on her back near her tail, and is no longer wheezing. However, her neck flops a bit. I'm not sure if that's because it's very sore where she was grabbed, or if there's permanent damage.

It looks like I may have to dropper her with liquid for a while since she isn't showing much interest on her own. Thanks for the suggestions on food. I'll try that, and maybe make a mush to dropper in. I'll also be using Calendula spray for the wounds, no painkillers. The Arnica should help with pain anyway, and the Calendula is wonderful for healing wounds.

Oh, hallelujuah! She's drinking now and eating a little mush. She can't hold up her head for long, but I can see that she's a little stronger than she was early this morning. I have to hold a bowl or spoon right to her beak and she slurps it up for a little bit, and then has to rest. I just made some ricotta cheese and kefir, so I mixed some corn meal with kefir and she ate some of that, and maybe she'll eat a little ricotta, too, with some whey. I also have a green drink with banana, apples, and kale, so I can offer her that as well

Off to the store for Noni juice (which is very healing) and Calendula.

Sounds like you are doing a great job...love all the homeopathic remedies. I'm sure she is just weak and in a bit of shock...it did sound like you had a raccoon, you are lucky he didn't drag her off, they usually do.
Saline solution is also very good for cleaning wounds if you don't have H202.

I'm glad to hear she is eating and drinking! I know that you like to treat homeopathically but if she has bite wounds from an animal she needs pennicillin. Animal mouths are full of horrible germs that will cause infections very rapidly. Your local feed store might be able to help or call a vet for a recommendation.

Keep us posted!
smile.png

I'll use penicillin if necessary, but I've treated bite wounds and deep cuts homeopathically in the past and never had a problem. Homeopathy is a very powerful form of medicine. I once was bitten several times by a dog, very deep wounds, and treated with homeopathy and the wounds healed rapidly and completely. The thing I particularly like about homeopathy is that it isn't suppressive, as antibiotics are, but curative. Nevertheless, there are times when antibiotics and other allopathic medicines are appropriate, and I never throw out the baby with the bath water.

The hen looks much the same today, definitely does not like having her wounds bathed with Calendula (I think it HURTS), but she stands up now and then, and even ate a little grass that I gave her this morning.

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. Animals have such an amazing capacity to heal that it just blows me away. I wouldn't have given odds at all on her survival, but my hen is definitely making it. :cool:Today she was alert and standing tall, head up (finally!). I put her outside for just a couple of minutes to see if she'd pick at some grass, and she started to run a few steps on wobbly legs!
lol.png

I didn't want to be chasing her, so she went back in her box. She's eating well, drinking well, and the only thing I'm doing for treatment now is Noni juice once or twice a day, and spraying with Calendula/colloidal silver mixture, diluted, 2-3 times a day. Her wounds are healing very, very well, the gouges are filling in, and her feathers are starting to grow back. By this time next week I expect that she'll be able to be in a (separate) chicken coop and go out during the day in an enclosure. She'll continue to be in a night. I'm not taking any chances with predators while she's at my house.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom