Hybrid?

Cayla91

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2017
I was discussing plans with a friend recently and she warned me that a Toulouse gander could breed with my duck hens. Specifically buff Orpington, and Welsh harlequin. I’ve never heard anything like that. Any truth to this?

I was discussing plans with a friend recently and she warned me that a Toulouse gander could breed with my duck hens. Specifically buff Orpington, and Welsh harlequin. I’ve never heard anything like that. Any truth to this?
I have seen threads about ganders trying to mate with ducks but that does not mean it is good fro the ducks or that if the mating is successful that a hybrid can be produced. Check out the following thread.

Hybrid Cross Between a Duck and a Goose: Do Gucks Exist?

Geese can’t breed chickens, and if he were to try could seriously hurt the hen as the reproductive system is build differently. However he can breed with the welsh harlequin girls as geese and ducks have very similarly built reproductive systems, he just won’t fertilize the eggs.

Overall I’d recommend just getting him a female goose

Geese can’t breed chickens, and if he were to try could seriously hurt the hen as the reproductive system is build differently. However he can breed with the welsh harlequin girls as geese and ducks have very similarly built reproductive systems, he just won’t fertilize the eggs.

Overall I’d recommend just getting him a female goose

It’s a buff orph Duck. More specific concern is wanting a gander and goose mixed in with duck flock and don’t want a guck

Get another female for your gander he will be much happier. My gander was hatched by a Muscovy duck and lived with only ducks for 5 yrs before I brought home a female goose for him. He is such a happy boy now they have been together 6 yrs . He mated with the Muscovys and never hurt a one but they really are better off having their own species as mates and companions . Another thing to think of is geese live so much longer than ducks and mate for life so your gander having a goose mate will be much better for him in the long run.
It doesn't have to be another Toulouse either My gander is Embden my goose Toulouse.

Get another female for your gander he will be much happier. My gander was hatched by a Muscovy duck and lived with only ducks for 5 yrs before I brought home a female goose for him. He is such a happy boy now they have been together 6 yrs . He mated with the Muscovys and never hurt a one but they really are better off having their own species as mates and companions . Another thing to think of is geese live so much longer than ducks and mate for life so your gander having a goose mate will be much better for him in the long run.
It doesn't have to be another Toulouse either My gander is Embden my goose Toulouse.

I don’t have a gander. I have a goose, was wanting a gander and a friend tried to tell me it would produce a hybrid with my ducks. I’d never heard of that but I definitely didn’t want it.

Oh okay well like I said my gander bred my Muscovies for 5 yrs and never produced a guck. lol I am pretty sure your safe.

Thanks. I thought it was weird when the friend said it but wanted to check. Do you like the Embden?

why-not-to-keep-one-goose-png.1261148

Back
Top Bottom