Pics

pterry97

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
For a while now I have had two Chinese painted (CP) quail (assumed a pair) living with my Japanese Coturnix (JC) hens. Surprisingly, the CP roo has not once mated with his CP hen. Instead, he took a fancy to my JC hens.

At first it was a futile attempt, he would climb on their necks and sit there like a backpack. It was cute but unproductive. About 2 weeks ago however I saw that he figured out how to mate successfully with the JC hens; by grabbing the lower back and successfully touching cloacas. I was shocked he figured it out.

FBC97F69-F1DC-4605-80ED-49596599F2B6.png

Out of curiosity I looked online to see about CP/JC hybrids, and found absolutely nothing. No examples. A couple of people asking if it was possible. Everyone saying no. Some people saying that their cohabiting CP and JC always stick to their own kind and never attempt to copulate.

So now I’m determined. I have a CP roo who, of his own volition, mates with JC hens. I want to see if they can hybridise. This is mostly a lazy experiment, nothing crazy or precise, but I want to document it so there is evidence out there.

I simply incubate every egg I get from their pen. 4 eggs a day usually, from my 4 JC hens. The CP roo barely mates with them to begin with, so it’s hard to know which could be fertile and which aren’t, so all eggs get a round in the incubator for 6 days and removed on a rota when no activity is occurring.

It has been just over a week since I started the experiment. Here is what currently happened.

Two eggs have red ring of death’d. I never saw visible veins growing, but the death ring was visible in the shell. This implies that fertilisation can occur, but the cells died very quickly after. Sadly the only light strong enough to see in the eggs is my phone light, meaning I can’t take pictures to show the process. Here’s one of the death ring egg’s cracked open:

7594D1BF-086D-484B-91E3-80B2588D4F39.jpeg

There is currently 1 egg in the incubator that is fertilised and alive. I am genuinely surprised and excited. There are tiny veins visible inside branching out, only about 3-4 days into incubation. Unfortunately I can’t get a picture to share with you guys. But one has fertilised. I even tried rotating it around but no avail:

43F815AE-7E5F-4D87-AD95-A37E1500B456.jpeg

Because it is still early days, there’s a huge risk it won’t survive development, but there is now evidence they can potentially hybridise if the embryo can survive. I’ll update this thread as my experiment progresses. I hope you are as intrigued as I am.

Edit: managed to get a very blurry picture using my laptop camera. The current fertilised egg:

hybrid.png

Last edited:
Update: another egg fertilised, but sadly it was clear that within a day both the new one AND the one from the original post had red ringed. I just broke open the eggs to see the contents inside.

WARNING FOR CONTENTS OF EGG!!!

The most recent egg was too early in development to have anything to share. Just a thick translucent blob in the centre of the red ring. A tiny black speck can be seen inside. It had fused to the egg shell and I couldn’t get it out completely.

1BA0FAEE-0B69-4D3D-A51E-607CC925FBF3.jpeg
4F2B2904-796F-4367-AC81-44BF92A28568.png

Now the original egg - this one is exciting.

We got an embryo! Only a tiny one, but that there is the beginning of a CP/JC hybrid. It’s obvious that they’re not the strongest of hybrids as they keep dying so early into development. But there’s no denying it. CP and JC CAN hybridise.

68223F63-6497-4255-9B2E-70E4B57DB06E.jpeg
D3524846-4B04-4ADB-9C4A-63B49680410A.jpeg

I’ve never bred any of my quail before, so I don’t know their ability of fertility myself. For all I know I could have weak stock, it could be a genetic issue with the parents, or it could just be the instability of the hybrid’s makeup. But someone with some good quality breeders might be able to get a better succession than me. I’ll keep trying out of curiosity, but it could be that we never get past this stage. Still, I want to see what a hybrid would look like, so I’ll keep at it for now.

Very interesting, I'm always intrigued by hybrids. I have started learning about Coturnix Japonica genetics and was surprised that they frequently breed bantam cockerels to Coturnix to prove where color mutations form, or that they are a specific color such a lavender.
Screenshot_20210713-223958.png

Very interesting, I'm always intrigued by hybrids. I have started learning about Coturnix Japonica genetics and was surprised that they frequently breed bantam cockerels to Coturnix to prove where color mutations form, or that they are a specific color such a lavender. View attachment 2777334
I’ve read this before, and it’s funny because I believe this is the SSC silver gene in quail, but quail also have an Andalusian, which I’ve read about, but not seen. Southwest gamebirds has Andalusian in their genetics pages, and it’s description is very similar to their silver description. I think most of these hybrids are made in the lab, not naturally produced through the birds mating, and I think they set a lot and very few develop and live. It’s really interesting though, and I wonder how fast they grow and if they taste good haha.

I’ve read this before, and it’s funny because I believe this is the SSC silver gene in quail, but quail also have an Andalusian, which I’ve read about, but not seen. Southwest gamebirds has Andalusian in their genetics pages, and it’s description is very similar to their silver description. I think most of these hybrids are made in the lab, not naturally produced through the birds mating, and I think they set a lot and very few develop and live. It’s really interesting though, and I wonder how fast they grow and if they taste good haha.
I'm not 100% sure if it was this particular study, bit they actually worded it as "mated to" no mention of artificial insemination. And supposedly the SSC is based on Andalusian (which they verified with breeding to chickens again 😆) and was heavily inbred to express other mutations, according to someone who works for Southwest gamebirds. He commented on a discussion I was having with someone else about German Pastels, which I learned were actually SSC (in a quail group on FB), and also that line was the origination of Celedon layers in the U.S. My poor brain is going to explode before I figure all this stuff out 😆

Very interesting, I'm always intrigued by hybrids. I have started learning about Coturnix Japonica genetics and was surprised that they frequently breed bantam cockerels to Coturnix to prove where color mutations form, or that they are a specific color such a lavender.
I wonder how this works, since old world Quail are related to Pheasants, rather than Chickens.

I wonder how this works, since old world Quail are related to Pheasants, rather than Chickens.
Probably not well as far as long-term health, but anything in the order of Galliformes can *technically* be hybridized. I have been reading a lot and it seems most die at day 3-5 development in the egg, and most die by day three if they do manage to fully develop and hatch. However, some do survive, just a statistically small number from very large numbers of set eggs.

Probably not well as far as long-term health, but anything in the order of Galliformes can *technically* be hybridized. I have been reading a lot and it seems most die at day 3-5 development in the egg, and most die by day three if they do manage to fully develop and hatch. However, some do survive, just a statistically small number from very large numbers of set eggs.
I think people have relative success with pheasant/chicken hybrids, and even occasionally some of the hybrid roosters can produce offspring.

Back
Top Bottom