I Absolutely Can't Wait!

My chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery for Mareks. No other vaccines were offered. I won't be breeding birds, but expect to acquire more at some point in the future. They are for eggs and possibly the occasional table bird.

I have fed my chicks Purina medicated chick starter, electrolytes w/vitamins in their water, and chick grit mixed 1/2 cup in 25 pounds of the above feed. I did put a couple of grains of grit, literally pinched out two or three grains, placed before each chit and watched them consume those early on. The feed is always available free choice, as is the water. No fermented feed, yogurt, eggs, treats, nada.

I started offering plain filtered water in a separate dispenser on day four. They drink both, but the water with the additives seems preferred.

I had three chicks needing their butts cleaned on day two, one day three, none since. I applied a scant drop of olive oil to each of the 25 chicks' vents on day two, only reapplied to chicks getting cleaned thereafter, none since.

I used a seedling heat mat cave similar to the heat pad broody hen talked about on this site. I kept the heat inside their cave at approximately 100 degrees F for the first two days, in a room that stayed in the high 80-low 90's. I have backed off on that heat based on the chicks behavior. At one week today, they seem happy with it set at 83.

I have not lost any of the 25. Not only are they not ill, but all growing and obviously doing well. Granted, mine arrived healthy and active after less than 12 hours in transit.

I'm not sure that your chicks were vaccinated against cocci. I didn't think many did that. My understanding is that with the cocci vaccine, you must stringently quarantine your chicks for two weeks. Exposure to "naturally occurring " cocci within that time can result in inactivated vaccination and even increase the likelihood and severity of any cocci infection that develops. I'm sure I could be wrong. I do know there are several strains of cocci, and any vaccine couldn't protect against them all. Think of a human flu shot. The medication in medicated feed is not an antibiotic, but a coccidiostat. I encourage you to research that.

I'm sorry you are having troubles and losing chicks. I'm glad to hear things seem to be a bit better using the Corid. I hope things continue to improve.

Last edited:
My chicks were vaccinated at the hatchery for Mareks. No other vaccines were offered. I won't be breeding birds, but expect to acquire more at some point in the future. They are for eggs and possibly the occasional table bird.

I have fed my chicks Purina medicated chick starter, electrolytes w/vitamins in their water, and chick grit mixed 1/2 cup in 25 pounds of the above feed. I did put a couple of grains of grit, literally pinched out two or three grains, placed before each chit and watched them consume those early on. The feed is always available free choice, as is the water. No fermented feed, yogurt, eggs, treats, nada.

I started offering plain filtered water in a separate dispenser on day four. They drink both, but the water with the additives seems preferred.

I had three chicks needing their butts cleaned on day two, one day three, none since. I applied a scant drop of olive oil to each of the 25 chicks' vents on day two, only reapplied to chicks getting cleaned thereafter, none since.

I used a seedling heat mat cave similar to the heat pad broody hen talked about on this site. I kept the heat inside their cave at approximately 100 degrees F for the first two days, in a room that stayed in the high 80-low 90's. I have backed off on that heat based on the chicks behavior. At one week today, they seem happy with it set at 83.

I have not lost any of the 25. Not only are they not ill, but all growing and obviously doing well. Granted, mine arrived healthy and active after less than 12 hours in transit.

I'm not sure that your chicks were vaccinated against cocci. I didn't think many did that. My understanding is that with the cocci vaccine, you must stringently quarantine your chicks for two weeks. Exposure to "naturally occurring " cocci within that time can result in inactivated vaccination and even increase the likelihood and severity of any cocci infection that develops. I'm sure I could be wrong. I do know there are several strains of cocci, and any vaccine couldn't protect against them all. Think of a human flu shot. The medication in medicated feed is not an antibiotic, but a coccidiostat. I encourage you to research that.

I'm sorry you are having troubles and losing chicks. I'm glad to hear things seem to be a bit better using the Corid. I hope things continue to improv

I'm sorry you are having troubles and losing chicks. I'm glad to hear things seem to be a bit better using the Corid. I hope things continue to improve.
They were vaccinated for Coccidiosis. Also they haven't been outside, brooder is inside

Thanks for sharing I will read it now.
I like to stick to real studies and real life experiences with people on BYC.
I find that many companies/hatcheries/feed store employees like to "push" products.
Real life people are better, as far as giving information I like to read.
Completely agree!

Another clean out day

Attachments

• IMG_20170705_211756_755.jpg
    IMG_20170705_211756_755.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 2
Another chick loss and another chick I'm not sure will make it. I'm still doing Corid, but doesn't seem to be fixing the problem. Those chicks that are loosing the battle are pooping blood. I have 1 day left of Corid treatment. Do I keep going?

Back
Top Bottom