I accidentally built a Chicken Castle (my 1st coop)

afviolettes

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2016
A few months ago my wife and I decided on chickens ... we looked high and low for a good coop but the largest (but yet smallest) coops were ~$400. Certainly I could build something better ... for a modest $500-600 ?

So, thus began a 6 week project (mostly due to rain - ridiculously large amounts of rain for Texas).

Details:

- Run space - 196 sqft
- Run Space minus Coop Space - 148 sqft
- Coop Space - 48 sqft (doesn't include 5 nest boxes at ~12in x 12in)

Other details:

- Run is 6 feet tall (for the humans)
- Electrical is available to the coop, just not installed yet
- Roof is insulated
- Vinyl is stapled to the floor for easy cleaning

I've attached a few pictures below, but also included a link to the full gallery. I will say, this turned into a much bigger project than I thought it would ... the total cost was probably closer to $1100.

Chickens:

- 2 Blue Wyandotte's
- 3 Rhode Island Red's
- 1 Columbian
- 1 Silkie (Ended up being a Rooster)

Plan to get roughly ~9 more.

Link to full gallery: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/b1hojo22/library/Chicken Castle

Last edited:
Very Nice!!
Don't worry...you'll spend more $$$ before it's over
big_smile.png

Does your ramp have a closable door (pop door) to shut at night - couldn't tell in the photos?
Reason asking is predators can easily get through chicken wire, unfortunately chicken wire is more for keeping chickens in, not things out.
I do recommend hardware cloth over the windows for predator protection instead of chicken wire and closing the girls up at night.

I'm sure you will get more input, but good job!

Wyorp,

Not at the moment - I'm getting an automatic one soon... As far as the predators my 3 yappy dogs are doing a good job of literally keeping anything and everything out... With 6-8 ft fences around my yard I hope that keeps the "bigger" predators out, but I intend to put cloth on the windows and vents at least

Thanks for the inputs.

pictures of coops like this is worth the
thumbsup.gif
what's the final price tag? if you don't mind sharing
Bruce, I was shooting for 650-750... After 800 I stopped keeping track... I'd say final was probably 950-1200

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom