1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I accidently got her quick and it won't stop bleeding,

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, May 25, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Help!!!!!!!

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    corn starch or flour!

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:+1

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    if that doesn't work use super glue.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I used baking soda and it stopped immediately.

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I've been using corn starch.. It appeared to have formed some kind of blood bubble around the nail? I don't know exactly I didn't mess with it.
    Super glue?? How?

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Styptic pencil or powder, quick stop are ideal. But any powdered substance plus direct pressure. It will stop. Don't keep stopping pressure to look at it, you disrupt the clot. Just keep pressure on for several minutes. Then keep the chicken quiet for a while, in the dark or in a cage so it doesn't scratch around. It will be fine.

8. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    you just have the tube ready, blot the blood, then drop a drop on the quick opening in the nail. It's basically the same as surgical glue and works great. I've used it many times when flour or corn starch wouldn't work. You just have to be careful not to glue yourself to the chicken [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  9. duffy01

duffy01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2010
    I'm a pet groomer and when cutting nails it always smart to have some quick stop on hand, It's medicated. They probably sell it at any pet supply store

10. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Thanks all... But I broke the blood bubble, cuz I assumed it was drying up but I was wrong [​IMG]
    It started bleeding again. It's getting dark so I put her in the coop with her buddies.. I wonder how long it will keep bleeding for. I mean, it has to stop sometime right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by