I already evicted these guys once!

I am pretty sure there was an article or a thread regarding feeding the dead yellow jackets to chickens as treats. Using the bright yellow/neon traps, when they are filling up with the dead insects when you empty it put them on something like a board for about 2 days to air out from the attractant and then feed to your chickens. I guess they gobble them up.

Those are such good photos. Their legs creep me out the way they hang down while they fly. Ew.
Several wasps at a time (usually 3-5) have been bugging me while feeding every single day. They make me run away screaming when they really come after me. Had my hands full and almost fell trying to get away from them the other day. They delay feeding some days because they're so bad. I can't find the nests so this has been going on for some time now. Some chased me into the rabbit barn this morning. I'd been standing at the doorway unlocking the barn lock when the overhead hovering and diving began. I barely made it inside and I couldn't help screaming, and there's lots of baby buns.
hmm.png
After that I asked someone that's not afraid of wasps to hay the rabbits that are out in another area. Two were flying at them while they fed the buns but didn't sting them. Those dang wasps have got to go.

You guys are too funny. We've had an population explosion of various wasp species this spring probably because we've had plenty of rain. I usually get a warning buzz by the sentry wasp, and if the nest is located in my territory they get zapped by RAID. One thing I learned about Wasp and Hornet spray is to avoid the generic brand, and make sure the nozzle is pointed at the nest and not your face, the dog, or the hubby. Although the WD 40 and a lighter does intrigue the pyromaniac in me.......

hide.gif

I do NOT like those buggers. ONLY time I've ever been stung by worse than an ant was a yellow jacket... right on the knuckle and my whole (then kid sized) hand swelled up as fat as my (now adult) forearm, fingers looked like sausages about to pop, and the burning... *shudder*

Mud daubers are welcome (they love to eat black widows) but other than that Raid is my friend.

Back
Top Bottom