I also need help on the breed of this horse please

My appt is in 2 weeks to get him gelded.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Perfect, it will make him more marketable for resale. He is nice looking but stallion quality he is not
wink.png

It was very nice of you to take him and and give him a new lease on life.
smile.png

Almost every one of my "pets" has been given to me as a rescue. It started with four ducks and it has spiraled from there. I belong to a weimaraner rescue and I think people assume I take anything. Well needless to say I can't say no, I have since fallen in love with the birds and have bought more. But donkey, horse, goats , geese ect.... were just dumped here.
smile.png

Quote:
More turnout for stallions that weren't properly socialized early on isn't going to accomplish much of anything. The damage is already done and it would be difficult, if not impossible, to try to introduce them to a herd without gelding them. They've simply forgotten how to interact with other horses except for a brief courtship and mating. Besides, turning a stallion out in a mixed herd isn't always practical. Especially with multi million dollar studs or studs that are heavily booked. They are usually nothing but breeding machines anyway and they are the stallions that will give the "good 'ol boys" a bad reputation. I'm not implying that all stallions kept this way will automatically be studdy and difficult, but those are ones that people tend to use as an example since they make up the majority of them. I'm 100% certain though that the stallion I have is as gentle and laid back as he is because he had been turned out with a gelding buddy or two for most of his life.

The good stallions I have had also lived in herd dynamics from foaling onward. We as humans tend to get so focused on teaching horses what we want them to know that we drown out what other horses should teach them. No human can teach a young, hormonal adolescent "good manners" like a no nonsense lead mare! This is the whole concept behind natural horsemanship - using the animal's own natural behaviors to train it. But if those behaviors are stunted or destroyed because the animal never really gets to be a horse, that can't happen. Consequently, stallions that are sequestered at an early age lack some of the tools that would not only help them be better herd members, but also make them amenable to training. I'm not saying every stallion is an angel ... far from it ... but neither is every stallion a fire breathing dragon. I do agree that beginners should not be solely in charge of a stallion ... it sets both the owner and the animal up for failure and disappointment. And I truly believe most males should be gelded. There simply aren't that many whose potential contribution to the species is good enough to warrant breeding, and gelded males stand a far better chance of rehoming should the need arise. That said, blanket condemnation of stallions as poor working horse candidates is unwarranted also. One of the best hitch horses I've ever known was an intact Standardbred stallion. You could hitch him next to green partner and he would calmly, patiently teach the youngster the ropes, whether that youngster were a filly or a colt. He was just a solid, good minded, reliable horse. And he was just as patient under saddle. I never hesitated to take him on a trail ride because I knew he would be one of the best behaved mounts there. A mare in heat might get an ear perked her way and a call out, but he never broke training in a "breeding frenzy." It just wasn't his nature.

Quote:
Well said. And if a human ever used the same kind of force that a no nonsense lead mare would use to teach a colt good manners, it would be considered outright abuse (even though a well aimed kick to ribs would make a 2x4 feel like a matchstick). I can guarantee the colt won't try any nonsense again for a very long time.

Quote:
I am so happy to hear this! not only will it be for the best but the horse will be a lot happier and he will be able to interact with other horses. simple things such as hauling him can get complicated with a intact male horse. many barns are not set up for studs and will not allow them, same for many horse activities, almost any trainer will want the horse gelded before they take him in and finding him a home will be 100 times more easy..

You made a very, very, smart choice !!!

He will need exorcise to help with the swelling after he is gelded so you have to make sure you have time to run him around and lots of people don't geld in the heat due to flies, just follow the advise of your vet..

I to wonder if he is gaited?

If you post a picture of his middle speed gait I might me able to tell you.. but just becuase he is not gaiting don't mean he can't if he is gaited..

There is a lot of icelandics around who got dumped into the market last few years many breeders have 100 to 200 head and when they go under thats a lot of horse to move..they are ending up every where..

Keep us posted on how the gelding goes. If you need any help you can PM me.

I'll be checking back and good luck!

Hugs

Trinity, if he gets his 'boys' removed, he'll already be 'exorcised'.....LOL.

But yes, she's right, after gelding, 'The Motion is the Lotion'

Congrats to the OP for giving a lovely horse a new home. Thank you for all your efforts on behalf of this handsome little beast.

I am very jealous! He is so cute - I'll have to come down sometime to see the ducklings all grown up and meet your pony. You had your son with you when you came to my house correct?

What is your pony's name?

Back
Top Bottom