I am a proud pea-owner!!!

micayc

Songster
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Centrel PA
I just got 5 peas! I am so excited!
lol.png
2 pied 1 female,1 male(2 1/2 yrs old),1 india blue male (2 yrs old)and 2 white ,not sures! The whites are 9 months old. How long before I can tell without doing a dna test? They are skiddish, will they ever come around? When you free range them, do they come back to pen like chickens? When will my pied lay eggs? Sorry for all the questions, just so darn excited
love.gif
,need to know everything my lil brain will absorb!
wee.gif

Wow. What a cool variety. To free range you have to leave them penned for 6-8 weeks. I free range mine. During their time penned up, I spent a lot of time feeding treats and talking to them, so they would get used to me. My boy will eat out of my hand. My girl has always been a little more skiddish.

Good Luck.
smile.png

They should lay in a few weeks ,and be fertile as your male only need be 2 yr old. even without the long train.(moving peahen will stop them from laying a few weeks)

On your white check the spur bumps males will be larger in dia. males are also have longer legs.

Quote:
I am new, they have no spurs yet,. I put them in with my blue and there was no fighting. if one was male, would it fight with the 2 1/2 year old male?

Quote:
I am new, they have no spurs yet,. I put them in with my blue and there was no fighting. if one was male, would it fight with the 2 1/2 year old male?

Not necessarily most of the time a older male want bother a young male. I have been having trouble with male trying to kill there hens this year most have been together for years. When sexing whites I look at the tail feathers the hens will be shorter and more round the males will have longer more taperd tail feather.

Back
Top Bottom