I am IN love with my chicks! Pasty butt!

Hangin Wit My Peeps

AutumnBreezeChickens.com
11 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Birnamwood, Wisconsin
I just got them yesterday and already they love us. They really liked us from the beginning when we first got them out of that horrible box! Still can't believe they come shipped (25 of them) in a paper sized box! I swear some were missing! Actually there was ONE missing...a black star. I have to call Ideal and tell them I only got 24. It's ok though as we were looking for homes for a few stars anyhow. Although now I think we will just keep them. I had my first experience with pasty butt. Poor baby was just standing around the past few hours and I picked her up and she was clogged up! It was HARD so I soaked it a bit and kept wiping at it and while I had her over the sink (thank god) she really let loose! WHEW can anyone say stinky! She feels better now. I felt wonderful as I don't know if birds can die of pasty (is that how you spell it lol) butt but I do know she feels better now
wink.png

Last edited:
They ship them like that to keep them warm. These are day old chicks, and only by putting enough of them in a small container will allow their body heat to keep each other warm. Pasty butt can be fatal if left untreated. It will quit happening soon, but if you are getting it, just keep picking it off until it stops. Good luck!

Mine are 12 days old now. I had pasty butt problems with only my barred rocks. The RIR and EE were fine. I held their little butts under warm running water and gently worked it until it all came off. Then I oiled them up with a little olive oil. They were maybe pasty for about 4 days. Now, no more butt washings!
cool.png

Good luck and enjoy your babies!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom