I am new here. Can you help me with gender and breed please?

So are roosters generally sociable?
Jack and "diva" are the sweetest little things.
sad.png

(Wondering how long I can hide this from my husband so he doesn't get rid of them....LOL.)
Can 2 roosters be in the same herd?
I can't help it....I love them already.! :-/
Roosters can be sweet when they are younger, but as they get older they get more aggressive. Generally, roos are not kept together. You could probably keep them but they do make a lot of noise with their crowing. If you did keep them, put them in separate cages, unless you want fertile eggs. Each roo would need their own coop. You can keep them until they are about 5 months old, because then they will start making much noise and try to mate with your hens. This is also when they become "mean"

So now that we know we have 2 Roo.! We are going to be looking for another 2 "hopefully" hens! Any advice on the breed to get and anyway to insure this time we get a hen? Thank you to everyone who has helped us! I can tell I'm going to love this website!

So now that we know we have 2 Roo.! We are going to be looking for another 2 "hopefully" hens! Any advice on the breed to get and anyway to insure this time we get a hen? Thank you to everyone who has helped us! I can tell I'm going to love this website!
Easy, just get a type of Sex Link chicken. With these, you can tell gender when they are born! I would suggest black sex links. They are excellent brown egg layers.

black with white spot on head is male. (ones on right side of table are male, left side are female)

More black sex link pics

The males are black and white, barred rock looking. And the females are brown. They are so pretty and so easy to tell gender. You will not have to worry with these guys.

I am new to having chickens. We have had them since July 6. Kids and I are enjoying them very much. Can you help determine the gender of our chickens?

This is my husband's Buff orpington chicken. We named him "Jack", since we have a feeling he is a rooster.(but what do we know. lol) Definitely the dominant bird of them all. Roo or hen?

Buff Orpington could be a rooster

ALSO, have "Diva" , my 6 yo daughter's chicken, we were told it was a Barred Rock, which we hope, hope, hope is a hen. She is a wild girl just like my daughter and has loads of character. :) Roo or hen?
yeah she is a Barred Rock!

Now, is my chicken. "Pearl" I was told she is an Americana/EE . She is sweet and kind and talks to me. :) Roo or Hen? Correct Breed?

Next is "miss. Kay" Told she is a Delaware. (?) My 8 yo daughter's chicken and is a bit shy and definitely is a follower. But sweet. Roo or Hen?
Americauna

LAST is "Dixie" Told that she is an Austulorp (sp ?) Very shy and is hard to catch. lol. Roo or Hen? Breed?
NOT AN AUSTRALORP FOR SURE!

We thank you for helping us!

Stephanie.
- Roostersandhens

For your next 2 breeds you should get Black Australorp(s) or/and Buff Orpington(s) If you really don't want a rooster get a grown hen u can search Pet finder google or search pet finder and it will come up then either go to birds or farm and they'll have a few chickens
The Black Australorp
Australorps are fantastic layers, they lay about 350 - 355 eggs a year while most other layer hens lay about 330 - 340 eggs a year. Black Australorps are very friendly and love attention. They are super sweet! They are black with a glow of green on they feathers when they stand in the sunlight. The roosters have big combs and big waddles and a beautiful tail. The hens have medium small waddles and combs. Here are pictures of the Australorp;

The Buff Orpington:
Buff Orpingtons are good layers they lay beautiful brown eggs. Buff Orpingtons are nice birds. They make great mamas. They are heavy weight large fowl (so is the Australorp). They are very, very pretty. There are other colors/kinds of Orpingtons. Buff Orpingtons are the most common. Buff Orpingtons are a very popular breed so they should be easy to find. Here are some pictures of the Buff Orpington:

So are roosters generally sociable?
Jack and "diva" are the sweetest little things.
sad.png

(Wondering how long I can hide this from my husband so he doesn't get rid of them....LOL.)
Can 2 roosters be in the same herd?
I can't help it....I love them already.! :-/

You have a good shot at keeping two Roos together if they are raised up together. One will be dominant and there might be some scuffles while they are figuring it out. The more hens you have, the better chance of them getting along. Not all Roos get aggressive - it is best for you to limit contact with them. You want them to view you as the boss, not as one of their hens. If you are too affectionate with them, they may try to dominate you when they are older. I am keeping 5 Roos right now with about 30 hens. It just depends on your situation. If they are too aggressive with each other, you can keep them in separate pens with their own groups of hens and they will be ok. I love my roosters and find them to be very entertaining and so sweet to their lady friends. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom