I am new to quail. To they have a high ammonia smell

Eggs don't smell unless, there were dirty going in, so any poo stuck to them? quail are outdoor birds, I have my cages over newspaper, and the poo-paper goes into the compost pile.

I had my quail outdoors but then they multiplied and the easiest way to house them would be indoors and that way they can be monitored more throughout the night. Also I have button quail and they are not outdoor birds so having all the quail in the barn helps a heap
smile.png

Quote:
Why do you say quail is a outdoor bird?I was hoping to keep them in a barn for the winter. I dont think with my winters here in Canada that they can make it thought.Does every one keep them outside. They are kept outside because of the ammonia smell. IF they are cleaned every day. There should be no smell. My hubby is installing a barn fan in the barn today. That should help the air flow.

this is part of why I keep mine "on wire" with a little sand thrown under the pens there is hardly any smell and my cleaning up schedule is about every 1 1/2 -3 weeks depending on humidity there is a lady who keeps chukars and quail who lives in Alaska I am not sure but I think she just put tarps up for the "winter" she is one of my freinds on FB the name of her hatchery escapes me right now I think her name is Tori I have not seen her post here lately

Quote:
Mine will be inside birds.. I'm planning on at least 5 of the 24"X24" rabbit cages.. and each will house a quad...(so a minimum of 20 adults)
the way I look at it.. ANY animal will stink over time if you don't keep the cages/enclosures clean.. so any smell/odor really depends on how often the person who is keeping them bothers to clean up after them

I have 41 newly hatched babies right now.. so no pics yet of what their adult home setup will be like .. and I will be incubating another 50+ eggs on Sept 1st

Back
Top Bottom