I am officially chickenless.

lindseythefork

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Humboldt County, CA
So, basically after the three buff orpington female chicks I got five weeks ago turned out to be some sort of white rock cross, all ROOSTERS (thanks feed store), I am officially chickenless (the feed store agreed to take them back and credit us).

I am debating whether or not to try chicks again or just go with hens. The downside to the hen route is that they go for around $20 a piece here.

I guess now we can fancy up the coop in the meantime..

Sure, you want some more chickens! I had one of my supposedly pullets be a rooster, but my feed store never said anything about taking him back. I did find him a nice home though. Its not 100% when they sex them, but that seems odd that all 3 of yours were roos? Like you said, you can inprove your coop, then get some more. Keep us posted, o.k.?
Better luck with you next set of chicks!
fl.gif

Definitely try again!!! The first eggs I ever incubated were all roosters, then I had a run of hens. And if you enjoy chickens, well, dont give up!
I am currently chickenless at the moment as well, but for different reasons. But hopefully not for long!
smile.png

b.hromada :

Sure, you want some more chickens! I had one of my supposedly pullets be a rooster, but my feed store never said anything about taking him back. I did find him a nice home though. Its not 100% when they sex them, but that seems odd that all 3 of yours were roos? Like you said, you can inprove your coop, then get some more. Keep us posted, o.k.?
Better luck with you next set of chicks!
fl.gif

Yeah, I know it's never 100% on sexing but two were definitely roosters and the third one was leaning that way.

I'm bummed that we have no little chickies pecking around the yard anymore, but there's no way I could keep three roosters! Three chickens is my maximum, and if they were all roosters it would be unhappy times.​

You could go with the sex linked and then be sure to get hens. I got red sex linked (sometimes called red stars) and they lay a ton of eggs and you will be sure to get hens. What about that?

Or barred rock chicks. Supposed to be pretty east to see the difference by the white spot on the top of the head: small and round is pullet, larger/irreglar/multiple is roo.

i lost my first batch of TSC bought chicks to my dog last thursday. My 3 year old opened the door to the run. My fault... I didn't have it locked... They were 5 weeks old and I have 6 - 2 week olds in the brooder. I wasn't feeling too chipper about the whole chicken endeavour especially now that I know I have a chicken killer of a dog, but some of the members here convinced me to keep going.
sometimes my TSC (feed store) carries sex links. At least that way you would know what your getting. I'm finding the best way to happiness (with chickens) is getting educated... and I'm also learning that takes time and there's bound to be some mishaps along the way...

Quote:
Well, I'm definitely going to get more, I just don't know when. Hopefully soon! I would like to get adult hens, but I'm kind of cheap and don't really want to fork out 20 bucks for one chicken,. lol

Back
Top Bottom