I am pretty sure my hen has worms, natural treatment?

Pics
@Kiki

Thanks for the info! I only heard arguments against garlic due to it's potential to influence the taste of eggs - which I have not seen any hard evidence either ( about the taste of eggs).
Allium family members(onions and garlic) should not be fed to most animals, it can be deadly to some(dogs are susceptible)and harmful to many. Small amounts may not cause any noticeable problems in chickens. I tried it 30 years ago as a natural worm prevention. It does not work (had one of only a couple of worm infestations in 50 years)and after months I noticed all the birds were looking more poorly and discontinued it. Within a few weeks everybody looked better again. However, I noticed no bad flavor in the eggs or meat. I treated with a commercial wormer and cleared them right up. I am not a scientist, but I do not recommend feeding Alliums to most pets or any chickens for any reason. I love garlic/onions and use it heavily in my diet, as Humans are well adapted for handling it and health may be improved for us. Chickens are not people any more than a dog or a rat is. Always read the labels fully and carefully and measure accurately all pesticides and medications! There is a good article here on BYC to describe treating stick tight fleas with permethrin, following good procedures. Wear long sleeves, disposable gloves and eye protection while treating the birds. Good luck!

Garlic is toxic to birds.
If your want to get rid of worms you need to treat with something proven to rid worms.
I've read everywhere else that garlic is helpful to keep their guts inhospitable to parasites. Not a cure, but a helpful preventative. Can you give any sources that garlic is dangerous? I don't want to harm my girls. Thanks!

I've read everywhere else that garlic is helpful to keep their guts inhospitable to parasites. Not a cure, but a helpful preventative. Can you give any sources that garlic is dangerous? I don't want to harm my girls. Thanks!
Ask any vet if you should feed garlic to chickens and they will say no.

I have a hen who I believe is between 5-8 years old. She is kinda a reck right now, there isn't much shelter since we still need to get a real walled in coop for her, a few other hens and the ducks so they will stay dry. Anyway, I aha noticed she's really skinny. She gets enough to eat, so that can't be the problem. I then though it could be worms. I Googled the symptoms of worms in chickens, and she has a pale comb, skinny, puffs up when she sits, is less active, and I have seen some interesting looking poops, and one that could have been bloody a while back. The weird poo hasn't been consistent though. So she has all the symptoms that were stated in the article.
Anyone have treatments that worked for them? I would prefer to try something that I had on hand, but I also want it t actually work. Anyone had success with something like this- https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/pumpkin-soup-nasturtiums-natural.html or have any commercial wormers that aren't to expensive I should try? Thanks for any help!
I had a hen in the same situation and it was coccidiosis, not worms. I treated her and the flock with Corid and she perked up within a day. I was able to find a vet to do a very inexpensive fecal float test to confirm it was coccidiosis. You want to make sure you're treating the right problem.

1634791541564.png

https://zupreem.com/avian/toxic-foods-your-bird-should-never-eat/
Dr. Laurie Hess, Dipl ABVP (Avian Practice)

Back
Top Bottom