I am really bad at this! :(

Turquoise55

Hatching
May 30, 2017
Hello,
well I am a first-time chicken breeder and I didn't know when the hens are going to sit on the eggs(becoming broody), so I didn't remove the eggs from one to another until my hen sat on the eggs but without me knowing so I forgot to label them at the time that the hen sat on them

3 weeks later and I am confused on when the chicks will hatch, I candled them and they were growing and some of the eggs are in different stages and I don't know what to expect, so my questions are:

1. how should I know when the chicks are going to hatch without the first-day date?
  2. will the hen leave the young unhatched egg?
  3. what should I do if she abandoned her eggs?

p.s
    I didn't put any new eggs with the hen through the incubating process and I removed some eggs during the process (no development and spoiled)
    I have 16 chickens 12 are eggs 1 broody hen 1 not broody and not laying hen 2 roosters

:welcome The date the eggs were laid is not a factor. All eggs should hatch approximately 21 days from the time the hen started setting. Within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick hatches, most hens will leave the nest. If other viable eggs remain, you will need to provide some form of 'incubation' if you want to hatch them. Good luck.

:welcome The date the eggs were laid is not a factor. All eggs should hatch approximately 21 days from the time the hen started setting. Within 24 to 36 hours after the first chick hatches, most hens will leave the nest. If other viable eggs remain, you will need to provide some form of 'incubation' if you want to hatch them. Good luck.
Yep, this. ^^^

The problem is I don't know when she started sitting on them because I was busy

It doesn't matter when she started sitting on them. She'll hatch the chicks and take care of them. You have a general idea what day she sat so can look for chicks 21 days after that. She'll leave the nest with chicks for first outing day after hatch and kick all unhatched eggs out of nest.

Back
Top Bottom