I am sick and tired or picking the poop of the chicks butt. How do I

How old are the chicks? Pasty butt is caused by stress mostly, and usually (in younger chicks) is a result of being either too hot or too cold.

At 2-3 weeks they should have about 80-85* under the light. Good luck, hope it helps
smile.png

You can try adding a bit of ACV to their water as well.

Are you using some Vaseline or similar ointment on the butt after cleaning?

Soaking it off is better than picking it off, as well.

You could try some plain live culture yogurt or other probiotics and little applesauce as a supplement, as well. This could be a sort of chronic constipation, so be sure their water is very clean and fresh; perhaps raise it higher out of the litter.

I would not have it over 80 degrees now; they might do better with it even a little cooler, depending how fast they are feathering. I have found that the recommended temp ranges are a little high compared to what my chicks prefer.

A little time outdoors each day might be helpful as well, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably too hot, not eating enough (put the chicken crumbles in a blender to make the crumbs smaller) they are too hot or too crowded. How many chicks do you have and what size brooder are they in?

What I did with my silkies when they were a few days was that I took a nose hair scissor and trimmed the hair around their butt. Don't cut too closely to the skin. I haven't had pasty butt problem for a few months now.

Back
Top Bottom