1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I am sick and tired or picking the poop of the chicks butt. How do I

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Country Living Farm, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Ok, what do I need to do to stop the poopy butt paste!!!!! I am tired of picking it off several times a day!!!!!!

Thanks

2. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Search for "pasty butt" and you may find some answers.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How old are the chicks? Pasty butt is caused by stress mostly, and usually (in younger chicks) is a result of being either too hot or too cold.

4. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    They are about 2-3 weeks old right now. I hatched them. I will adjust the light/heat.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    At 2-3 weeks they should have about 80-85* under the light. Good luck, hope it helps [​IMG]
    You can try adding a bit of ACV to their water as well.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Are you using some Vaseline or similar ointment on the butt after cleaning?

Soaking it off is better than picking it off, as well.

You could try some plain live culture yogurt or other probiotics and little applesauce as a supplement, as well. This could be a sort of chronic constipation, so be sure their water is very clean and fresh; perhaps raise it higher out of the litter.

I would not have it over 80 degrees now; they might do better with it even a little cooler, depending how fast they are feathering. I have found that the recommended temp ranges are a little high compared to what my chicks prefer.

A little time outdoors each day might be helpful as well, if possible.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2009
  7. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Probably too hot, not eating enough (put the chicken crumbles in a blender to make the crumbs smaller) they are too hot or too crowded. How many chicks do you have and what size brooder are they in?

8. princess araucana

princess araucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    a little parakeet grit might help and pre-greasing butt with vaseline.

9. ich-knut

ich-knut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    What I did with my silkies when they were a few days was that I took a nose hair scissor and trimmed the hair around their butt. Don't cut too closely to the skin. I haven't had pasty butt problem for a few months now.

10. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Trimming the down off very carefully works great, because there's nothing for it to stick too. Then you don't have to use ointment or pick off any yucky stuff any more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by