I am writing an article about chickens going broody! Would love some input!

1. Allowing the broody to stay in the nesting box vs. isolating them in their own space can be a hot mess with others laying in the box and adding to the eggs she was originally on, eggs being broken etc. In my experience, keeping her isolated space in the coop with the flock is important. "See, but no touch"
2. Mark the eggs you originally set or you'll end up with a staggered hatch (also can be difficult to manage).
3. Two broody hens hatching at the same time was brutal in my experience. I will never do it again. They fought worse then any rooster fight I've seen, I stopped them as they were fighting to the point of blood. I had to play musical runs/crates with them and their chicks for a few weeks. It was a lot of management to ensure they didn't kill each other or chicks.
I have Buff Brahmas and had never had hen infighting until the hens hatched. I haven't had any fighting since. The fighting calmed around the time the chicks were 3 weeks old. My rooster and I spent many hour managing the WWF matches between those two.

Back
Top Bottom