I An Idea For All of You, do you agree (concerns My Genetics Opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

usschicago1

Suburban Cochins
10 Years
Aug 11, 2009
Taunton, MA
Today I've Read Like 10 Different posts about people "helping" chicks out of the shell. In my opinion, you are NOT helping. I believe this will lead breeds into unhealthy sick little birds. If they cannot get out of the shell, how will the do in life? Its adding bad genes BACK into the gene pool, which mother nature naturally worked out. I've only helped one chick out of the shell, and all the old timers (who if you look around have the best birds )warned me not to, And my bird turned out to have dwarfism, and no toe nails. It died 8 weeks later. This is what ive learned, its better to let a breed die out that to help them out of the shell. Whic really only happens when are around bad breeders (example the dorking) while the pycheon is just as rare but has good genetics and vigorous.

Another Idea- Alot of people are doing "projects" For Fun. I really think this should be left for the professionals, like hinkjc and the genetic guros on this section. I think it would be better to save an endangered breed ( like the java, le fleche, ect) as you can learn as you go with these. I think with the millie fluer cochin project, they are going great, but now with so many people just breeding them and not knowing what to look for (wich is why i dont have them i dont know about that color pattern) the variety is going steps back. When they were low profile, i think they made alot more progress.

What do you think? I can't get these ideas out of my head and im not sure if i need to be "straightened out" or not lol . This is not met toward sanyone or any particular threads/posts:)

I dont agree with you... for many reasons.
But you're entitled to your opinion.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

but really, I think you have a point about experimental breeding when there are a lot of breeds that are failing to strive. I also have to say how much fun it is to see the mixed breeds and the fun colors they develop. Pure breds always producing the colors expected versus new exciting combo's. I would like to say that I have not contributed to the mutt population, but I have. I was a brand new chicken owner with a broody that stole eggs from everyone, not a single pure bred was born (boo). The next time I will choose what eggs are incubated. But I love my Phoenix/bantam partridge rock roo, he is gorgeous!

Seems to me most of the breeds that are out there, with the exception of maybe jungle fowl, were crossbred at one time or another. Random crossbreeding could result in some "wimpy" birds, but a "super-chicken" could develop too. I say to each his own. I keep all of my personal birds pure, but that's my own personal choice.

At one point in time, before "genetics" all breeding and selection was done through trial and error. I don't see anything wrong with people playing with their own backyard flocks. And the general market will point backyard flocks in specific directions - and reward those that are doing it correctly. Just because we don't all know genetics doesn't mean we can't play with something. I mean, it's not like these are horses (although this market has the same problems) - the end result, if unsuitable, is easily used for other purposes (ie, you can always eat the roos, and the pullets will always lay eggs). They're chickens. I have 90+ chickens (I think) and 6 equids. I am maxed out on both accounts - yet chickens obviously drastically outweigh the equids!

As for helping chickens out of eggs - is it okay if the chick is shrink-wrapped b/c of something you did? Is it okay if you don't breed the offspring? I guess, to me, it's not all cut and dry. Not everyone is doing this because they are "breeding" livestock. For some of us, they are pets. And we usually do all in our power - or at least MORE - to help pets than we do livestock.

Just some different ideas that I thought I'd throw out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom