I can hear chirping!

RoosterJuice

Songster
7 Years
Feb 24, 2017
It's almost 1am here in Ontario, Canada. I can't sleep at all. It's day 19, I went into lock down this morning and I just heard chirping 5 minutes ago from my incubator!!!!! I have owned chickens for years but this is my first time hatching any eggs. I am beyond excited and I doubt I'll sleep at all tonight. Sorry for wasting your time but I was so excited I had to share this with my chicken community.

They'll chirp a day, maybe more before they actually hatch. I'd save your sleepless night for tomorrow
smile.png
but good luck with your hatch!

Go to sleep. Even if an egg pips tonight, it won't be ready to hatch until tomorrow morning at the earliest. The hatching process actually takes days. Your eggs are at the point of getting into position and breaking into the air cell. Then they've got to adjust to breathing, this can take more than 24 hours. Once they need more air, they pip. Then the blood vessels need to recede and the yolk sac needs to absorb, that can take over 24 hours. Only when the vessels are receded and the yolk is finished absorbing will the chick begin to zip and finish hatching. You're still 2 days from having chicks popping out of eggs.

EEs are always so attractive, their fluffy faces make them some of the cutest chicks, imo.

I also have a hatch in progress, usually I have to plan activities to keep me preoccupied. Today it will include helping patch the shingles (terrible winds last week, and rain in Fridays forecast).

Back
Top Bottom