I caught a raccoon & another & another ***GRAPHIC PICS*** pic heavy

Dukes dog proof trap. In the first picture
I've had good luck with them. I use canned mackerel but I put some around the trap, sprinkle liquid on the trap as well as pack the bottom of the trap. Canned mackerel is stinky and the cheapest fish per ounce. Much cheaper than sardines or tuna.
I've never had luck with marshmallows.
Anyone want a half bag of marshmallows?
rant.gif

How do I kill a coon I trapped without using a gun in a live trap?
Fill a large trashcan with water and drop the trap in it. Measure first to make sure the whole trap can be submerged. If it's a havahart type trap, you'll have to put something through the trap on both ends to keep the doors closed because those traps only work horizontally. Otherwise the coon will push the door open and swim away.

When trapping raccoons on Long Island I like using the coon cuff on the ground. The conibear 220 works great too for raccoon removal, but can't be set on the ground.
I have started using conibears too.

Oh. I have a bow but afraid it Will hit the metal bars. Any suggestions?
If the broadhead will fit through an opening, just stick the broadhead in an opening. The coon will attack it and let the arrow fly. Regular target arrows will just bounce off a coon.

most anything get vicious when cornered. The worst things i have had in a live trap are ferrel cats and groundhogs. The calmest have been raccoons and skunks, both of these have taken food from my hand (not that i am sticking my hand where they could get hold of it).

Awwww :(
What I don't understand is why they have to kill a whole flock?
I mean, fair enough, they have to hunt for food but they usually kill a whole flock and just take one? It's so evil.
My dad said there was a lovely fox that used to come to the factory at his work.. it used to jump on his lap and he would feed it his sandwhiches.
They can be nice, I guess. haha

Trying to catch predator who decapitates chickens and eats innards . Lost 3 hens . At 2:15 am neighbor's dog started barking like crazy. I used bright flashlight and it ran off with dog chasing it. I think it's some wild cat. Will check into wolf urine and other deterrents.

Trying to catch predator who decapitates chickens and eats innards . Lost 3 hens . At 2:15 am neighbor's dog started barking like crazy. I used bright flashlight and it ran off with dog chasing it. I think it's some wild cat. Will check into wolf urine and other deterrents.
Take that money you'd spend on wolf urine and spend it to make your coop stronger.
I'm assuming that the critter broke into the coop while your birds, and you, were sleeping.

Unfortunately when you kill all the coons in the area (unlikely, because they learn about traps when one of their buddies gets caught), more will move in after a while. It's a constant fight.

Back
Top Bottom