I clipped wings and they still fly out!!!!

suenrob

Crowing
16 Years
Jan 22, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
My chicken yard is fenced in with 4 foot chain link. Most of the chickens don't try to get out even though i know they can. I've clipped the wings of the ones that are always getting out thinking this would solve the problem, but it hasn't.

I can't afford to replace with taller fence, its probably half an acre!

Any ideas would be much appreciated, Thanks
smile.png

Enclose them. Build a coupe with a covered run and your problem will be solved. Mine done the same thing they would leave the yard even though it has a fence so i had to build a coupe so they couldnt get away. It is more a safety issue I didnt want the bad ole fox making a house call and taking my chickens!

I don't know if this will help, but when mine were still making it over a 4' fence with one wing clipped, I clipped the other one, and made sure both wings were clipped SHORT. That stopped it; I dont think they could get enough lift. By the time they moulted and grew the wing feathers back, they were mature, heavy hens, and the thought never seemed to cross their minds again.

I already did both wings, but wasn't sure just how short I could go before drawing blood. Maybe I'll try going a little shorter, thanks

Bird netting, you can get it at Home Depot, I think I even saw it at Walmart, It's not expensive.
Just zip tie it to the top of your fence and if the netting isn't big enough I've heard people talk about weaving two parts together with electric fence wire, a branch fell on a part of mine and I just zip tied it back together so you could just do that also.

Quote:
How old, how many and what breed are you having this problem with?

Hope we can help you out!

-Kim

well right now youll just have to put up with them flying out.esp since you clipped both wings.your only supposed to clipp 1 wing.so if they try to fly.theyll be off balance.an cant fly straight.

Back
Top Bottom