I Confess: Your Worst Chicken Math

When I wasn't old enough to understand how to deal with aggressive roosters. Eggs didn't get collected, chickens went broody, chicks hatched, and some months later we had to move with about 20 extra chickens 😅
We're mama hens seperated from others? I have a broody in nest box and fearful about chicks falling out of box onto coop floor with big hens ? My 1st time with broody.

I'll start. I turned trying to get one chick out of my ancient rooster into 19 chicks completely unrelated to him. Now I have to build a new coop!

Make me feel better lol. What's your worst chicken math story??
Unfortunately there’s a legal limit to how many chickens I can have where I live
What’s the limit?
Don’t ask cause I definitely don’t have more then the limit 😂
(I hate chicken math cause I really need to have less birds)

These are our first chickens.

The idea: one chicken per family member, plus 1 or 2. So 5-7 chickens.

We want to hatch eggs. Count on about 50% being roosters. We can eat those. Not all eggs hatch. So, we'll set 16-20 eggs. We can source those from neighbors/friends.

Eggs from neighbor: set of 2.
Both develop to lockdown.
1 hatches. 1 DIS.

Kid expresses a desire for silkies. Looking into shipped eggs, 50% is an excellent hatch rate. Most common is 25%. Available order intervals is a thing. We order 16. We can do 8 silkies. They sent 17.

1 is clear. 1 blood ring. 15 make it to lockdown. 1 died a few days prior to lockdown, but I wasn't sure. 1 DIS.

13 silkies hatch.

Neighbor delivers 18 more. 2 are too dirty to incubate. 16 go in incubator. 12 early quitters. 4 hatch.

In the middle of this. It becomes apparent the first to hatch is most likely a cockerel. So. Hubs goes to tractor supply for 4 sexed pullets. Wound up getting 3 silver laced wyandottes. 3 golden comet. And the very last "Americana" who was lonely.
So 7 pullets, 1 Lucky, 13 silkies. That's 21 chicks, while last 4 were in the incubator.

Hubs coworker tells us he is terrified of his 3 hens they got last year, and would we be interested. (Yes. Of course.)

So, 21 chicks, 3 hens. Last 4 hatch.

28 chickens. We wanted 7 at most.

Back
Top Bottom