I culled yesterday.

I'm with you. I used to put hens in the "hospital coop" for prolapse or whatever. Not anymore. If it isn't something that is easily taken care of, I've discovered that I usually end up losing them in a few weeks anyway, no matter how hard I try to fix them. So now I make a choice after a day or two (depending on the severity, a prolapse that stays put after 1-2 tries can stay in the hospital coop before I make a decision, chronic problems...
sad.png
not so much) and just take care of things quickly. I still have tears in my eyes every single time, but I know that they will not suffer. Hugs to you.

Look on the bright side, you won't have to deal with (insert number of chickens here) being sick and having to kill them, too.

I have a question for those of you who have culled for the reasons you have said in this thread. Do you eat these chickens then? To the OP... I am sorry for losing your rooster.
sad.png

I am so sorry you had to take care of him like that. I have never had to do that or anything like it, but I know as my little Backyard Farm grows the likelihood does too. I thank you for sharing your story as it helps me slowly get mentally prepared for that day. (((hugs)))

ETA: Corrections in my typing due to 1001 questions from my children!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm glad I have everyone at BYC to share these things with! It is comforting to be able to share things, happy or sad. The only advice I would give if you feel the need to cull, is to prepare for it, because it's a sad, kind of disturbing thing to have to do, so you want it to go smoothly and quickly.

Also, a few have asked if I ate the rooster. No, because he had an illness, and I don't think it's a good idea.....

Sharon

Back
Top Bottom