I DID IT! Am I now a "real" farmer?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by L&Schickens, Jul 3, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

These are two of my four turkeys I got back in April. They did not grow well and had terrible leg deformities. I knew I had to do them in at some point but wanted them to get as large as possible. The other two birds are not as bad as these were. They can walk at least.
    Well, today I could take it no longer. Looking at the poor fellows, unable to walk at all, I decided to do them in. It was a cool morning and little to no flies were out. So, I got the ax cleaned, got a bucket and bailing twine and headed out to get the birds.
    I did not make a "clean head off" cut the first time on either bird, but I was doing this alone and I think I had my eyes closed. I did make very fatal blows on them though. I had to wait for the flapping to stop before I removed the head entirely.
    I cut off the tails on them and pulled out the innards. I had a queezy stomach and so did them as fast as I could. I skinned them and I think that worked out fine for me. I would do it again that way for sure.
    They are now sitting in salt water and I will cook them up later.
    They are about 6 pounds each. I guess it was better then trying to do a 40 pounder by my self. It took me about an hour to do both of them by my self.
    What a relief! I CAN butcher my own birds after all.[​IMG]

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Glad someone can do that because I couldnt

Good job

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Looks good already. To bad you rnot closer, I'd have you show me how to do my birds.

And for your ? I'd have to say you are officially a "turkey,header,cutter, offer Farmer"

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    [​IMG]

5. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Congratulations! Those birds look huge. Let us know how they taste [​IMG]

Did you skin them or pluck? From the picture they look skinned. Also, were these heritage breeds or broad breasted?

I haven't butchered any of my turkeys yet. I'm looking forward to trying them this Thanksgiving.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    oh yeah you totally get credit...i was wondering what time dinner was and could you send a map???[​IMG]

7. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    These were just feed store turkeys, so it is no wonder they had problems.
    I skinned them. It was not a bad way to go at all.
    These two had a lot of dry food in them and a lot of poop too. I got it all out without breaking anything, but man o man, I need to look up what to feed, or NOT feed the days before butchering.
    Thanks for the compliments. I truly feel like I accomplished something today.[​IMG]

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is awesome...accomplishment drives us to achieve more! and again, how do i get to your house for dinner?

i think you just isolate them away from food; offer water only the night before. gullet goo..ack.

9. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Wow, looks like you did a fine job there! The meat looks very lean.
    Is this your 4th of July dinner? Wish I could have a taste! Looks great!
    [​IMG]X

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Can one of the mods make a new title ?? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by