I did it...I butchered a chicken...and I feel mixed emotions

leasmom

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
I am very glad I did it though I had just promised two people on here that I would keep him but he crowed so loudly this morning in my suburban neighborhood it woke me up and I imagine it woke up alot of people. I didn't think I would process a chicken but I did...I feel good that I did it but it wasn't the most pleasant experience and he died horribly because I thought I had sharp knives-(chef knives)-but I didn't so it took along time for him to die...which made it worst for me. First of all, I never thought I'd kill something in my life and then to see how long it took for him to die was horrible. And then the cleaning him out part...I nearly vomited a few times but I made it...and now I know I can do it if I have to but I'm still dropping mine off at the butcher next week...
HPIM1192.jpg

HPIM1193.jpg

HPIM1194.jpg

HPIM1195.jpg

HPIM1199.jpg

Last edited:
I'm proud of you. It is unfortunate that the knife was not sharp. That would have been alot harder to deal with, but hindsight is always 20/20. If you ever have to do it again, you will know better.
Killing is never "easy" and your first kill is always the hardest. People always have different reactions to their first, and sometimes many subsequent kills. some are very emotional, some remorseful, some, like me, feel glum, with little emotion. To me, it is necessary, and knowing I am providing for my family make it worth it.

Looks like you did a good job.

I'm always amazed at the great number of people who have never killed an animal for food. I, too, think its important for people to understand from where their food comes. I think it gives them a greater appreciation for their food supply, for the animals themselves and for the work involved. Its not a pleasant job, but someone has been killing and cleaning your meat all these years. That's food for thought! Pun intended!
wink.png

Congrats on your first real made from "scratch" meat! May you have many more! Looks as if you did a fine job...
smile.png

I think it is good that to understand the process of where our food comes from and the work it takes to process that food.

Good for you! And, while it does get easier, I hope I never get complacent about butchering.

I used to think I'd have mixed emotions about it. All I'd really seen were my layers. They're so sweet and affectionate whenever you go out to feed or play with them. I thought it would be hard to kill an animal like that. Now however that I've experienced the behavior of the meat birds.... Nah I won't have a problem. The ONLY thing they care about is food. They want to eat, screw who's-ever putting it down. So, I have no emotional attachment. Grab, hang up, slice, stand back.

Good for you
smile.png

I think everyone should have to butcher something once. Removing the guts (especially on a large mammal like a deer) is a particularly important lesson. They are held in there by so little, they are hardly attached to the skeleton at all. It makes you reflect a little on how fragile we all are.
wink.png

Congrats! I have to admit that I cried after the first day of butchering my meat birds, and like Max, I didn't have an attachment. It was just the point of actually killing something that bothered me.

But, same as you, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I CAN do it. And, supper on table of course!!

I kept saying to myself I would never do this and now I did. I feel proud but I just wish I had the proper tools so I could spare myself the gore of watching him die...it took awhile because none of the knives were sharp enough. I know now I can do it if need be, I know I can put food on the table...I'm giving this one to a friend who has lots of grandkids, she had 7 out of 23 there with her yesterday, so she can use the meat...I know I won't have trouble eating ours, we're having them processed next week for $2.50 each...so I won't have to do it again for awhile and I am proud of myself...I was just shaking after I had completely finished...because I had killed something...I guess it's first-time guilt or something.

Fortunately i grew up duck hunting and have no problem with having to clean out birds and/ or kill them. My dad used to make me clean all the ducks we shot. Do you use the liver or hearts or gizzards. You can make some mean gravies with those items!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom