I did it! No more mean roo. :(

lovemychix

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Moulton Iowa
I have been having a huge problem with my polish roo flogging my kids and even the other hens. My good roo Morgan and Waddles (my black polish) never got along and fought all day long making the hens nervous. I tried to give him away but no one wanted him because I was honest and told them he was a flogger so yesterday he went way overboard and flogged my daughter again when she was gathering the eggs. Hubby was gone and so I did the deed myself.
hit.gif
I hated it but my children come first. Maybe now we will have some peace in the coop. He was just under a year old. I didn't sleep hardly at all last night. I know I did the right thing but it was terrible.

Hi I am sorry about your roo, I am faced with a similar situation with my EE roo, he is by himself in the dog run right now, he has been charging me and given my girls bloody heads...I am right there with you. I think I have to do the deed unless I can come up with something:/

The first time is always tough, but you know you did the right thing. And now you know you can do it again if it becomes needful.

I've had chickens for 2 years now and have never had to cull a bird. In fact, I nursed a wounded chicken back to health after an attack that should have killed her. I have frequently wondered if I did that hen an injustice by saving her because her flock would never accept her back and she had to be re-homed. She is fine in her new home, but...

So, this weekend I went to a friend's house and helped to process 36 meat birds. I wanted to make sure that if I had to do the deed in the future I would be up to the challenge. The first was awful and I almost threw up, but it got easier. By the end of the day I felt like I could do it to one of my birds if it became necessary. I found that actually doing it was far less traumatic than the thinking about having to do it.

Sorry you had to do it, but good for you. It takes some guts to do what's needed sometimes.
hugs.gif

thumbsup.gif
Good for you! The right thing to do isn't always the easy thing to do, but you did it!!! And proved something important to your children and to yourself. There really are so very very very many roosters in the world and very very few positions available for flock husbands, pets, or breeders. Only the very BEST deserve to be kept and as for the rest, off with their heads! Don't waste a minute in remorse.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do it? And what did you do with it afterwards? I only ask because it might help others in the same situation.

hugs.gif
to you &
clap.gif
from your hens & your children

Sorry about your roo its hard. When Buzz started flogging my mom we thought it was funny course he was young and had no spurs and really couldn't do any damage. We started hanging him unside down by his feet and dunking him headfirst into buckets of water when he flogged and he definatly learned not to do that again now he just runs from us. We have 6 roosters and 9 hens and they usually get along just a couple little fights here and there but nothing serious.

Had a RIR rooster that attacked my 10 yr old grandson every time he went into the pen...After a couple of months and nothing working to break him of it, I threw a net over him, grabbed him by the feet and took him to the chopping block. He made really good chicken and dumplings.
Children are far more important than chickens. My grandchildren were all in favor of his demise.
D.gif

i bet that was hard to do. it's hard because we aren't SUPPOSED to WANT to kill something. but we have to sometimes.

you have just experienced wisdom and discernment. congratulations for valuing your child more than an animal. we have been given charge over the animals and sometimes this is part of it. it's not the only answer but sometimes it is the answer.

your child is blessed to have a mom who cares enough to put her own feelings aside for the safety and well being of the child. that is a real mom and not a person who just gives birth. rock on.
hugs.gif

I agree with Miss_Jayne's observations. It must have gone completely against your nurturing, alive view of life, but you had to do it. You don't want that kind of rooster reproducing other mean roos.

Quote:
We buried him in the garden. I didn't want to eat him for the fact that he was pecked on his top hat and I had treated him with bluekote many times. I don't think a person is to eat livestock treated with bluekote. I raised him from a baby and he was a good bird until just recently so he was still a pet to me.

Back
Top Bottom