I did it! No more mean roo. :(

Quote:
It was. I was a teacher for 6 yrs and now do daycare. Another reason the boy had to go! I couldn't imagine him getting to one of my toddlers.
hmm.png
I love my chickens so much and they are a huge part of my life. I couldn't imagine not having them. Maybe my hens won't be so nervous with him gone.

Thank you everyone for reassuring me that I did the right thing.
hugs.gif
BYC is the best.
big_smile.png

I'm sorry
hugs.gif
. That is hard.... I am facing the same situation possibly. My BA roo is turning into a real monster. I have scratches on the backs of my legs from the other day--- he is really high strung and I think he is stirring up the others. We got him as a freebie and he is beautiful. I would love to rehome him but I like you am honest with why I want to get rid of him.

Your story helped me as did all the wonderful replies--- I am feeling a little braver and secure if I do have to take that course of action.
hit.gif

Last edited:
hit.gif
I'm so sorry.
sad.png
I never want to have to cull a bird.I am happy for your kids and your hens though.Look on the bright side,you have dinner!
droolin.gif

Last edited:
If eating livestock treated with Blukote was bad, we'd all be dead here by now. We use Blukote on lots of critters including ourselves. Can't beat it for ringworm, small staph infections on udders, and wound treatment in general.

Ya know just like broodiness this meanest can be transfered from parnet to parent. At least I think so. By doing the best thing you can breed for nice dads.
I hate to ask but how did you do it? I have one to do not a roo but I'm having a hard time getting around to it. for those who use a knife how did you pick a knife that you were sure would make it clean and easy. Cause if I don't get it right they'll have to commit me, as I'll freak.

So sorry..... I know it was very hard thing to do. Be proud of yourself, you did the right thing to protect your loved ones. Many people couldn't do it.
thumbsup.gif

I had to butcher a chicken that had to be dispatched ASAP and there was no one else available at the time to do it. I used a pair of LARGE pruning shears. I tied the feet together and hung the chicken up at a convenient height. I lopped the head off with the shears. It was fast and easy. For the record, I am a complete wuss when it comes to this sort of thing. If I can do it anyone can. The hardest part was thinking about it. So I quit thinking and just did it.

Back
Top Bottom