I did it! No more mean roo. :(

It was a nice evening not having to carry my golf club.
big_smile.png
My hens are so relaxed and Morgan (my huge Golden laced roo) seems to be happy not having his nemesis Waddles. Mogan is my boy. He's never attacked anyone and he really loves his girls.
Now I can send my daughter out by herself to gather the eggs.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
That is very creative and I will keep that in mind. I wasn't sure I would be able to handle the blood aspect of the killing. When I dispatched my roo, I held him upside down by his feet, then lay his neck down on the ground, laid a rake pole across the neck, stepped on the pole on either side of the neck, then pulled up on his legs. The neck breaks (you'll know when this happens - their eyes close) and then you just hang the body by the feet for awhile before processing. All the blood runs down into the neck and congeals so it is not a big mess when you do chop off the head. Or if you aren't processing them, you don't have to deal with blood at all.

When my neighbor did this with young hens they raised for meats, their heads would literally pop off, so if you are strong and the birds aren't as tough as my 2 yo roo, then that could happen if you pull hard enough. Another option depending on your reasoning for culling.

Quote:
That is very creative and I will keep that in mind. I wasn't sure I would be able to handle the blood aspect of the killing. When I dispatched my roo, I held him upside down by his feet, then lay his neck down on the ground, laid a rake pole across the neck, stepped on the pole on either side of the neck, then pulled up on his legs. The neck breaks (you'll know when this happens - their eyes close) and then you just hang the body by the feet for awhile before processing. All the blood runs down into the neck and congeals so it is not a big mess when you do chop off the head. Or if you aren't processing them, you don't have to deal with blood at all.

When my neighbor did this with young hens they raised for meats, their heads would literally pop off, so if you are strong and the birds aren't as tough as my 2 yo roo, then that could happen if you pull hard enough. Another option depending on your reasoning for culling.

Thank You Iowamom I was just trying to find this method of culling I know I had seen it somewhere on here before-it seems really quick and logical, I have a mean EE roo that I have isolated from my girls I was just comming in from outside- he charged at me thru the fence-so here was your post perfect timing!!THANKS;)

Quote:
OMG you waterboarded your naughty roo! LOL

My neighbor gathered up his unwanted roos this morning and has them in a cage in front of the house. Free, and the taker gets the cage too. I hope the taker isn't going to use them for fighting.

I'm thinking about "processing" one of my roosters. He's not aggressive to people but very rough on the pullets.

One of my roosters just attacked both my children yesterday for the first time! I could not believe it. He is just 5 months old and I guess he just started getting aggressive in the last few days. I figure he will be history soon.

Flogging is one of the ways roosters fight. It's when they fly up at you and beat you with hard & fast flapping of their wings. It can hurt, especially if you get whacked with their bony arms. They even have a little spur at the "wrist" joint.

Flogging is often accompanied by spurring, when they pull their legs forward as they jump up and try to gouge you with the spurs on their ankles as they bring their legs down firmly & quickly.

I don't know when or if they get some beak action going there too. It often happens so fast, they dash at you and everything's moving at once. It can be startling, frightening, painful, and injurious. Especially to a child. Some roos will just rush in and make one attack, then run away. Others will continue to flog & spur until you leave their territory. Some specialize in the sneak attack, waiting until your back is turned or bent, then jump up & spur you from behind.

I see no reason to keep a rooster that does that. There are just so very very many other equally handsome roosters available to husband your flock, fertilize the eggs, and sing Good Morning to the sun. I don't like when my kids are afraid to go outside in their own back yard, scared to spend time with our flock. I don't like crossing my yard with apprehension, the theme music from Jaws playing in my mind, wondering Where is that rooster? and When will he attack?

Sometimes the smallest roos can be the biggest bother. I had a Silver Sebright who was an awful ankle-scratcher. I got rid of him after he drew blood on a visitor. Afterwards, it was such a relief to go in the yard without dread, I didn't realize how much he interfered with the peace at our place.

Back
Top Bottom