I don't believe it! UPDATE WITH PICS

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
I had 6 silkies hatch on Friday night into early Saturday morning. One egg didn't do anything and I was ready to give up on it. Well a few minutes ago it hatch a lovely little splash.

So I started with 12 eggs. Three were infertile, 2 didn't go very far. When I broke them open it looked like scrambled egg. So I had 7 left and all 7 hatched.
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif
That gives me a 100% hatch. Not bad for my first time in my home made incubator.

However I'm exhausted in last 21 days I haven't slept more then 4 hours a night. And the last two night of the hatch I slept maybe 2 hours a night.

Last edited:
wee.gif
congrads magikchick
clap.gif
... woah you hadn't had much sleep? now thats what i call dedication! take some pics and post them when you can i'd love to see them
yippiechickie.gif

Told ya it's addicting!!!...lol..glad you had such a good hatch...welcome to hatching addictions....

Here's a group shot of the 6 silkies

grouppic1.jpg

This is the outside of the incubator I built. I used an outside heat source, a flood light with a dimmer on it. The top was a picture frame that I cut a hole for. I could open it to turn the eggs instead of taking the whole top off. I had a 4" fan on the inside. I put tinfoil in front of it to cut down on the force of the air flow. My water pan was under the wire rack I put the eggs on. At hatching I flooded the bottom to increase the humidity.
incubator1.jpg

I only turned the eggs twce a day at 7am and 7 pm. I turned the eggs morning and night of the 18th day and put the humidity up to 60%. After the eggs had pipped I uped the humidity up to 70-75%. I found that when my temp was at 100 with the humidty at this level is when the eggs would hatch.

This is my last little hatch 2 days after the others.
number9-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom