I DON'T like silkies!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pixie74943, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    It's true, I do NOT like silkies.. I dont coo when I see pictures of them. I have no desire to cuddle them, hatch a million fuzzies silkies babies, or put up with their blindness, inability to roost, and general clumsiness. I dont think the overload of feathery feet is cute, I dont want to bath them, cuddle them, or put bows in their hair.

I like my chickens chicken shape, with chicken-ey feather. I like them being able to jump on my arm to be closer to the treats. I like the big daily eggs. I like the fact that they can take care of themselves in my backyard, find the roost without any trouble, and they know when cuddling time is over and its time for them to be a chicken, and me to be a person.

Speak up folks, Who else DOESNT like Silkies, and thinks they are useless and weird, except as a walking incubator you have to feed??

EDIT:

I havent read this thread since I woke up, but I had a PM of a member having a tantie about my 'I hate silkies thread'... I do not hate them.. I dont like them, personal taste and I shouldnt have to read a tantrum because my tastes dont align with yours. If you are offended.. dont read it... duh, there are plenty of people who like silkies, go talk to them. I just wanted to see if I could find some people who DONT like silkies, I'm sorry if your beloved birds recently died, there is no reason for you to throw a tantrum at me because my taste in chickens and yours are different.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Each to their own, I guess?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

[​IMG]

..............GET HIM SOPHIE.......make um walk the plank !!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    WHAT ...... YOU HATE SILKIES !!!!!

[​IMG]

I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR SAYING SUCH THINGS...... [​IMG]

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I hate them. They are evil little creatures using their genetic fluffiness to appeal to people. They should be outlawed bt the U.N. and a global war be started to eliminate them from the face of the planet. I've been warning people for years but they just don't listen.

A few little known silkie facts:

More children have been harmed by silkie attacks than squirrel, rabbit, and snipe attacks combined.

Their chicken farts are higher in CO2 emissions than cows and cause global warming.

Silkies were once an ugly little bird used as a food source in many Pacific rim countries. The CIA intentionally bred them to be "cute" in order to infiltrate China and North Korea.

Silkie roos are vile creatures with no respect for hen's or Chihuahua's rights. Please people, keep your small dogs away.

Just sayin

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I agree, to each their own but....I don't ever plan to have any silkies either. I prefer my chickens to be just...chickens. They don't have to be pure bred or bred true to type. They just have to be reasonably friendly, willing to free range my backyard, and provide me with enough eggs to justify their existence to DH.

6. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

You know, I used to feel the same way. I have several times tried silkies, and given up with them. But somehow, they always seem to make their way back onto the ranch. Most recently, my daughter, bless her heart, bought raffle tickets for a trio of pullets. Of course she won them. Well ya know, you can't just have girls, there needs to be nature's balance. So out we go and get two boys. I was adamant about no more silkies. Now again we are up to 5. And don't tell anyone lest you be hit by lightning, but my daughter caught me yesterday cuddling with them. Sure, they have their limitations, but so do polish I feel. They (at least mine were) are clueless to things about their crests, and the hawks knew it. Therefore, for the sake of the survivors, our polish went to a more polish friendly home. I gripe about the silkies, but can't do it too loudly when I have to pick one up and cuddle it.

7. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Quote:Hooray!! An understanding soul [​IMG] I couldnt handle any overly showey breed. I like my chickens hardy and chicken shaped/coloured.

Although I wouldn't turn down a smooth-feathered banty for the personality factor

8. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Now HATE is a strong word concerning Silkies. And ATE don't really fit in well with Silkies too. I think you need 50 of them just to get a meal.
    I have heard people say they are Rats with Wings, they look like a Poodle mixed with a bird. For those who love them, we need you. The Silkies need you. And from what I seen ALOT of people want them. NOT ME. And more power to those who like them. And to those who hates them, it is a love to hate relationship......

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Ok, for all of you silkie lovers, I am ready to find my single silkie a home.....

I made a serious attempt at liking them. I do think they are cute, but, the novelty has worn off and a new home is in order......

I just CANNOT get used to the blue skin.............

And there is not enough meat there to tempt me to "prepare" him for my dog to eat.....

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    For those who say silkies are too small to eat you may wanna try one. Cmon over any time. I still have 6 in the freezer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by