I feel like I am running a death camp for chicks!!! S.O.S I need help now!!!

griffinchicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 6, 2012
I have lost 4 broiler chicks in a week!! and one more going down now!!! I gave them save-a-chick as soon as i took them out of the box, keep food and water full!!! what am I doing wrong? *** please no one be offended I am not trying to be funny I am seriously looking for answers***

I have a friend that has the same luck with meaties. I went to her house to try to help when she got her 4th and largest batch of 300 chicks. In her case it was extreme mismanagement. Excessive crowding. They were so crowded they couldn't all get to the feeders and waterers. Worst of all was a lack of ventilation.

The way I do all chicks is give them lots of space, a warm spot with a heat lamp, 2 lamps if it's real cold in case one goes out but plenty of room to reach cool space, keep the bedding dry or replace if there's a mishap, keep the feeders at least half full. Also check frequently for pasty butt.

Last edited:
They have lots of space and two heat lamps at either end of the brooder and ample food and water, I only have 50 (had) been checking for pasty butt. maybe i need to scoop it out more than every other day

how many do you have in what size space?

The first week for heavy breeds a half sq. ft. per chick.
The next 7 weeks they should have 2.5 sq. ft. per chick if they are confined (no outside access)
Up to 15 weeks or till slaughter 5 sq. ft. per bird.
If they have outside access 1 sq. ft. up to 8 weeks and 2 sq. ft. till slaughter.
Ventilation is a big key also. 50 birds need a lot of fresh air.

Last edited:
Honestly I am super new and don't really have any answers.
The only thing I have is something I remember reading in Mother Earth News last year (well before I had chicks of my own) That there have been many chick deaths that can be attributed to certain fumes coming from the heat lamps themselves.
I'm not sure if they have info on this site that talks about that, but I know it is pretty commonly talked about in both the magazine and on the Mother Earth News online. I know you can go to their site and check it out online (I believe) They list brand names of heat lamps that cause problems. Sorry I can't remember off the top of my head which they are.

Good Luck! I hope it gets figured out!

I agree with the space requirements. Late autumn here daylight temps are around 50F min to 80F on a good day.The climate here in Australia is not as extreme as North America so I keep them under the light for about 5 days then put them out in the yard in a cage during daylight hours and back under the light of a night time. This works fine for 10 to 20 chicks at a time but beyond that moving would be a tough job.

I am wondering what breeds are generally used for meat chicks?

Bill K

thank you everyone for your help! things calmed down and we only lost 6 total... more than i wanted but it was ok! we started harvesting them this week. thank you!

Back
Top Bottom