I found a baby bird

Here is the bird and the paste I made. Not all the cat food dissolved into the water but it seemed to be the right consistency. I fed it like 2 drops. How much is usually enough? Also it seemed to maybe be choking afterwards but seems fine now so I don't know.
Seeing the baby in the pictures I think up to 4 drops. Then wait for half an hour minimum till you offer new food.

I just switched out its water bottle for a warm one again and it pooped, so I think that's good!
View attachment 2674140
Yes, pooping is a very good sign and the poop looks good and normal 👍

Thanks for some advice on how to prevent the food going down the wrong hole! I don't know where out thermometer is but if I can find it I'll use it. How do you suggest using it to get the correct reading?
Put the thermometer in the nest you made (but thermometer not touching the chick) and check the temperature.
So how much would you recommend feeding it per meal? And how should I feed if it isn't opening it's mouth wide enough/at all?
It ist still very small and blind. Similar cases I had reacted when the nest was 'touched', like a parent was landing on the edge. That should make the chick open their beaks and call for food, please try it.

I read that they can't have that as newborns, only when they get a bit older. Right now we can't even get it's mouth to open. It was opening it's beak a bit earlier but now it's not opening it at all.
Yes no mealworms at that stage of age, and if so (if nothing other by hand for example) only the inner part (squished out) without the mealworm's skin.

Seeing the baby in the pictures I think up to 4 drops. Then wait for half an hour minimum till you offer new food.

Yes, pooping is a very good sign and the poop looks good and normal 👍

Put the thermometer in the nest you made (but thermometer not touching the chick) and check the temperature.

It ist still very small and blind. Similar cases I had reacted when the nest was 'touched', like a parent was landing on the edge. That should make the chick open their beaks and call for food, please try it.
It did open it's mouth for feeding! I got one spurt of food in and then stopped, not wanting to give too much. We are moving it's box to a new room though, hope that doesn't stress them.

Also I just fed them some. They pooped again but it doesn't look near as pretty and they appear to have some dried poop on their poop hole. Also it seems to take alot for it to eat. I found online that birds do wait while their parents sleep and can go 24 hours without food. Should I keep feeding it? Or is it having problems?

Also it pooped again, does this one look normal and just squished or deformed?

Attachments

• 20210517_230527.jpg
    20210517_230527.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 5
Poo looks fine, keep it's rear clean with a warm damp paper towel, then dry it, so it doesn't create a hard crust or plug blocking future poo. We call that pasty butt. I'm not sure how often to feed it honestly. I think someone else here said at least every two hours? Maybe if you feed it slightly more often before you head to bed you can do like a 4 hour stretch and then feed it again? It's the lack of heat I would be concerned about. It could die from a chill as well. Do you have an electric heating pad or only a hot water bottle?

Poo looks fine, keep it's rear clean with a warm damp paper towel, then dry it, so it doesn't create a hard crust or plug blocking future poo. We call that pasty butt. I'm not sure how often to feed it honestly. I think someone else here said at least every two hours? Maybe if you feed it slightly more often before you head to bed you can do like a 4 hour stretch and then feed it again? It's the lack of heat I would be concerned about. It could die from a chill as well. Do you have an electric heating pad or only a hot water bottle?
No, I don't have a heating pad but we do have a heater that is now running in the same room as it's box making the whole room warmer. And the water bottle and washcloths. Could that be too much heat or not enough?

I will definitely clean its rear now that I know about that.

I have been increasing the feed times throughout the day actually and will feed it before I go to bed. Will set a timer for either 2 or 4 hours, maybe I'll split the difference and do 3.

No, I don't have a heating pad but we do have a heater that is now running in the same room as it's box making the whole room warmer. And the water bottle and washcloths. Could that be too much heat or not enough?

I will definitely clean its rear now that I know about that.

I have been increasing the feed times throughout the day actually and will feed it before I go to bed. Will set a timer for either 2 or 4 hours, maybe I'll split the difference and do 3.
I would see if you can set the box on top of a heating pad set on low, probably with a folded towel or something to make a buffer to the heat. One problem is that a lot of heating pads have a safety shut off at a certain time, but that would likely still be longer than a bottle. What temperature is the room? Over 75 would be good but not too much hotter with a secondary heat source.

Back
Top Bottom