I found a baby bird

Pics

birdlover2

Crowing
Jan 28, 2019
Ohio
So I don't know if this is where to post this, but it is a chick and it doesn't fit squarely into any other category.

I found a baby bird on my patio. It's not a chicken, I'm not sure what sort it is. It probably fell from the broken light that birds have tried to make nests for in the past. We are thinking of taping the hole up in hopes it will discourage them. It was alive though, even after making the fall. I took it in, put it in a cardboard box, and gave it some washcloths for warmth. I heated up a water bottle and put that in the box too. I left it alone for a while and looked up stuff trying to figure what I should do. The bird sanctuary is closed on Mondays of all days so it will have to last the night.

I did try and feed it something multiple websites agree is safe, dry cat food dissolved into water at oatmeal or yogurt consistency. It started breathing more heavily afterwards and moving alot more so I don't know if I got it down the wrong hole or not. I only gave it a couple drops before giving up and putting it back in the box. It's still alive about an hour later so I think that's a good sign. It's tried moving in a caterpillar fashion using it's neck which scares me, but eventually curled up into a ball with its head face-down. The websites I looked at say baby birds can survive 24 hours without food, but the bird rehabilitation center opens at 10 AM according to the website, not exactly first thing in the morning, and I don't know how long it's been since the bird ate or if it ever even has.

I've been in this rodeo before, trying to rescue a bird in the same situation. It died overnight last time and I'm worried I'll make the same mistakes. I think last time that bird either died of wrong temperature or food down the wrong hole, or of internal injuries.

Should I try and feed it? And how do I manage to keep it the right temperature overnight? I'm obviously not good at this, I just want to get it to the professionals without it dying.

the same thing happend to me so any help i could get would be great. dont try to give it back to its mama she will not want him anymore after you've touched him.
I'm pretty sure that's a myth. If you are able to put it back in the nest, do so, and then watch to make sure the mom accepts it. Birds don't have the best sense of smell.

Here is the bird and the paste I made. Not all the cat food dissolved into the water but it seemed to be the right consistency. I fed it like 2 drops. How much is usually enough? Also it seemed to maybe be choking afterwards but seems fine now so I don't know.
Seeing the baby in the pictures I think up to 4 drops. Then wait for half an hour minimum till you offer new food.

I just switched out its water bottle for a warm one again and it pooped, so I think that's good!
View attachment 2674140
Yes, pooping is a very good sign and the poop looks good and normal 👍

Thanks for some advice on how to prevent the food going down the wrong hole! I don't know where out thermometer is but if I can find it I'll use it. How do you suggest using it to get the correct reading?
Put the thermometer in the nest you made (but thermometer not touching the chick) and check the temperature.
So how much would you recommend feeding it per meal? And how should I feed if it isn't opening it's mouth wide enough/at all?
It ist still very small and blind. Similar cases I had reacted when the nest was 'touched', like a parent was landing on the edge. That should make the chick open their beaks and call for food, please try it.

I read that they can't have that as newborns, only when they get a bit older. Right now we can't even get it's mouth to open. It was opening it's beak a bit earlier but now it's not opening it at all.
Yes no mealworms at that stage of age, and if so (if nothing other by hand for example) only the inner part (squished out) without the mealworm's skin.

Seeing the baby in the pictures I think up to 4 drops. Then wait for half an hour minimum till you offer new food.

Yes, pooping is a very good sign and the poop looks good and normal 👍

Put the thermometer in the nest you made (but thermometer not touching the chick) and check the temperature.

It ist still very small and blind. Similar cases I had reacted when the nest was 'touched', like a parent was landing on the edge. That should make the chick open their beaks and call for food, please try it.
It did open it's mouth for feeding! I got one spurt of food in and then stopped, not wanting to give too much. We are moving it's box to a new room though, hope that doesn't stress them.

Poo looks fine, keep it's rear clean with a warm damp paper towel, then dry it, so it doesn't create a hard crust or plug blocking future poo. We call that pasty butt. I'm not sure how often to feed it honestly. I think someone else here said at least every two hours? Maybe if you feed it slightly more often before you head to bed you can do like a 4 hour stretch and then feed it again? It's the lack of heat I would be concerned about. It could die from a chill as well. Do you have an electric heating pad or only a hot water bottle?

Back
Top Bottom