I found a baby bird

Pics
Depending on the type of bird, many parents will care for young that fall from the tree on the ground. However what you are describing sounds like a very young bird. I would set the box on the porch and watch to see if the parents are looking for it.
Well it was right on our patio and the mother wasn't anywhere around. Putting it back in the nest isn't an option seeing as the nest is too far deep in the hole in the light to reach. If I put it back it will probably be eaten by our dog when they go out to the bathroom or one of the neighborhood cats. Or another bird. I think the mother figured out it wasn't the best place to nest belatedly and abandoned the nest.

That's why I said to watch it. Your looking to see if the chick calling brings the parents back. You can't assume it abandoned the nest. Parents leave the nest off and on all day to bring food back for the baby. Considering you cannot contact the rescue services and will have to improvised heating and feed, it's best to give the parents a chance to reclaim the bird. This is the advice I was given by the bird refuge on my area, they do not take in feathered birds here at all because fledglings are often cared for on the ground. However your situation is different, I'm sure they will take it if you can keep it alive until they can.
Yeah, if it was a fledgling or hadn't fallen so far I would just leave it.

the same thing happend to me so any help i could get would be great. dont try to give it back to its mama she will not want him anymore after you've touched him.

Yes. I got all my info from a vet who lives on my street, I am friends with his daughter. He's super good with all wildlife and pets! We have rescued many birds and he has helped us a lot. I will be watching this thread in case you need any more help! Also, @chicks_ , you should post your own thread with pictures and info if you are still working on helping your chick, and you will definitely get more responses that way.
So how much would you recommend feeding it per meal? And how should I feed if it isn't opening it's mouth wide enough/at all?

Well I did feed it again a few drops, it had a similar reaction as before and then I put it back in the box. I'll see what happens now

Back
Top Bottom