I found a neglected bunny on the side of the road! Help!

wyandotte102

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2019
Florida
So driving home I saw a rabbit sitting on the side of the road. He was black and white and fluffy, and looked like a pet bunny. I went back and picked him up, and he literally jumped into my arms. I took him home and, under the instruction of my friend who has a pet rabbit, put him in a small puppy cage with coastal hay and shavings and a small dish with water. He is very skinny and has extremely long nails, and is dirty because he was in the ditch. It is super cold tonight and didn't want to rinse him. I left him in my shed with a heat lamp and a few pieces of fresh, rabbit-safe lettuce from my garden. I think he also has a little mange on his ears. Super cuddly and affectionate, but is skinny and neglected. I think someone abandoned him off on the side of the road, because he is definitely not wild. Despite that, he is bright-eyed and attentive, and even ate a little lettuce. He is cleaning himself a lot. I have never had a bunny, and have no idea what to do with him (and I checked, he is boy, and not fixed either). Anyone out there to help me with him? He is not eating any more and I haven't seen him poop or drink.

If it's cold and he was in a ditch, it's likely he's not thirsty. Free-range rabbits usually get enough water from grass that they aren't really concerned about drinking otherwise. It's also possible that he was raised drinking from a water bottle, and isn't sure how to go about drinking out of a tub. That happens.

Rabbits, like chickens, are really very cold-tolerant. I don't think you need to worry about a heat lamp.

Rabbits need hay more than they need feed (an ounce of feed per bunny per day being considered quite sufficient by many breeders) and a lot of lettuce is not good for them (large amounts lead to liver spots). Dandelions are better, if you have access to them.

You want grass hay for a male rabbit. Orchard is good, Timothy's good. Alfalfa is bad. It's better for nursing mothers, because there are more minerals in it, which can lead to kidney stones in bucks.

Bunnies can be litter-trained, and it sounds very much as though you have a former house-bunny on your hands. Just a thought.

So driving home I saw a rabbit sitting on the side of the road. He was black and white and fluffy, and looked like a pet bunny. I went back and picked him up, and he literally jumped into my arms. I took him home and, under the instruction of my friend who has a pet rabbit, put him in a small puppy cage with coastal hay and shavings and a small dish with water. He is very skinny and has extremely long nails, and is dirty because he was in the ditch. It is super cold tonight and didn't want to rinse him. I left him in my shed with a heat lamp and a few pieces of fresh, rabbit-safe lettuce from my garden. I think he also has a little mange on his ears. Super cuddly and affectionate, but is skinny and neglected. I think someone abandoned him off on the side of the road, because he is definitely not wild. Despite that, he is bright-eyed and attentive, and even ate a little lettuce. He is cleaning himself a lot. I have never had a bunny, and have no idea what to do with him (and I checked, he is boy, and not fixed either). Anyone out there to help me with him? He is not eating any more and I haven't seen him poop or drink.
Bless you for your kindness!! How lucky both you and the bunny are for doing this. Bunny for not being left outside to be hit by a car, or killed by a predator, and you because, well...good karma for your willingness to help a fellow creature! Please do give us pictures!

The mud it will groom off itself. I wouldn't try to wash it. Rabbits also will eat grass, greens, and browse like willow branches. Since you are in Florida you may still be able to pick some stuff for him to eat.

Shaking isn't always from being cold. It could be stress. Keep his diet simple as rabbits can get stomach problems when stressed, or a change in diet. He may just be reacting to his new situation.

@wyandotte102 - How sweet of you to rescue the little fella. I do highly suggest as others have mentioned to get him seen by a vet first thing and get an examination done to check basic health/look for parasites/maybe can help get him cleaned up and nails trimmed. They can have a look at that ear for you too. It may require some calling around, just ask their receptionist if they will perform exams on bunnies!

Update: He is doing okay. He ate the rest of the lettuce and a very tiny piece of banana (many online forums said that they were simple and basic for bunnies). He practically inhaled it. First thing tomorrow morning I will go get rabbit pellets from the feed store. Anything else I can feed him in the meantime? And what about cleaning him? He took care of his face and ears, but his belly is still muddy. Also thought I would mention that he was shaking just a little, even with the heat light.

Back
Top Bottom