I found a pickle crock!!! Now what?

greeneggsnham

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Ok, so my parents have decided to demolish their old house and build a new one in the same location. Its a really really old farmhouse and they cant fix it for the price of building a new one so hey whatever.
idunno.gif
I was helping them clean out the basement and in this old dusty cabinet in the corner there was a old pickle crock covered in an old burlap sack. I was over the moon to see it and after I took it outside and cleaned it up I discovered it was a western stoneware, 5 gallon one.
ep.gif
celebrate.gif
Now I've always wanted to try fermented pickles but I didn't move out till last spring and our pickle crop flopped that summer. My mom never even knew it was down there and told me I could keep it if I wanted.
love.gif
wee.gif
:) I was so excited that I ran it back to my home and have it a thorough cleaning but then I had to pause....I have no recipes and no books about making fermented pickles.
hu.gif

I need your help people. Does anyone have any recipes for fermenting pickles in a crock? My fiance and I adore pickles and tend to go through them quickly but our absolute favorite are the kind of spear pickles that usually come with the sandwiches in places like BG's deli and Mcallisters
droolin.gif
. I've tried to replicate them but they never turn out quite right. I'm hoping that fermenting them will get closer but ,like I said, I have no idea where to start.
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom