I found a young adult robin unable to fly.

ChickiesInUtah

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
Northern Utah
I don't know exactly what's wrong, he/she can't fly. I put it in the brooder with water and chick crumbles.

I live in Utah so everything except McDonald's and Walmart is closed. Any advice? Thanks!

Is there a problem with West Nile virus in Utah? If you were here in NJ, I would almost bet that is what the robin was suffering from.

Sourland, thanks for responding!

From the CDC website:

West Nile virus is a virus commonly found in Africa, West Asia, and the Middle East. It is carried by mosquitoes. West Nile can cause disease in humans, birds, horses, and some other mammals. The virus was found in the U.S. in 1999 and in Utah in August 2003.

CDC website says I can only get WNV from mosquitoes. Am I being foolish in you opinion?

-Ginger

West Nile, to the best of my knowledge, can only be transmitted through the bite of a mosquitoe. That being said, my inclination would be to release the robin. Your intentions are to be commended, but sometimes it is better to let Nature take her course.

West Nile, to the best of my knowledge, can only be transmitted through the bite of a mosquitoe. That being said, my inclination would be to release the robin. Your intentions are to be commended, but sometimes it is better to let Nature take her course.

X2. Also, make sure you have no standing water around for mosquitos to breed.

It's as dry as a bone out here in Utah. No standing water around here to be found that I know of,

I don't know if this robin is long for this world but at least he seems comfortable. If it really appears to be suffering I'll put it out of its misery.

I'm soft hearted but if something is in pain I'll make sure it goes fast!

ETA thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom