I found him recently dead, can I eat him?

snewman

Songster
12 Years
Feb 22, 2007
Belleville, WI
One of my turkeys (BBW) suddenly up and died. There are no apparent injuries, so perhaps he had a heart attack? My question is, can I eat him? Obviously he won't have been bled out, but ist there still a way to use the meat? They're close to processing age anyway, and I hate to waste him after feeding him this whole time.

While I would be seriously hesitant to eat it, I have friends that eat road kill. I've heard "it looked pretty fresh!" many times. I think this falls under personal preference.

With Roadkill, there's a pretty good indication that a 3000 lb car was the direct cause of death. This death could not get into your bloodstream and is probably not communicable. Finding a dead animal, without knowing the cause of death, would not be considered food around my house or my Dad's. And my Dad eats just about anything.

For example, drive into town and see no dead animals on the side of the road. Drive home, and see a dead animal, that's fresh meat.

"With Roadkill, there's a pretty good indication that a 3000 lb car was the direct cause of death."

This just about made me spit my soda all over the screen.
lau.gif

Okay back on topic, I don't know that you couldn't eat it but I would be hesitant because it is poultry. You have to be really careful with things like chicken and turkey. If the turkey had a disease or something that you didn't know about you could get really really sick. I don't think a meal is worth that kind of illness.
hu.gif

It would seem wierd, but in reality cooking the meat properly would kill any infections the bird may have had. I wonder how much beef and pork we have eaten that died before it was slaughtered.

I would give it a try if I knew the bird and it was walking around fine one moment and found it dead the next. With a BBW, it was most likely its heart but once opened up and plucked I would smell it, look at the liver and heart and other bits adn if it all looked good and smelt good than by gum, it would be in the cook pot asap. The only change I would make to my normal cooking is I wouldnt roast it, I would slow simmer it with good stock over most of the day.

But thats me, if you are unsure about it, best just feed it to the dogs or bury it.

Back
Top Bottom