I found some kind of worms in my chicken scat, don't know what kind. Can I just order a broad spect

Go to your local feed store and get Wazine or some other form of Piperazine. Tell the feed store people what you are doing. They will likely give you Wazine. It is a broad, poultry friendly medication that is easily given in their water and is effective. It is for chickens. It has very clear dosing instructions for chickens. You dont have to know what kind of worm. It kills them all.
Actually, Wazine (piperazine) does not kill all worms, it kills only large roundworms.

I think this is a pretty thorough list:

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933
  • «$» to «$$$$$» indicates the magnitude of the economic damage on poultry caused by a parasite on a worldwide basis. The more «$», the higher the damage.
  • «R» to «RRRRR» indicates the magnitude of the resistance problems of these parasites to parasiticides on a worldwide basis. The more «, the higher the risk of resistance.

Internal parasites (endoparasites, worms, helminths)
Roundworms (nematodes)
  • Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
  • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
  • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
  • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
  • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
  • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
  • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
  • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemicregions.
  • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
Tapeworms (cestodes)
  • Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
  • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
  • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
  • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)
  • Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.

I think that is excessive. Of course, I have never spent money on a fecal smear either. I am not looking too closely for tapeworms although I highly doubt it. Gapeworm is treated with Ivermectin but gapeworm is also not noticeable. This guy said his chickens have worms. That means he sees worms in the droppings. i
If this person saw cecal worms, which they might have, they would need Safeguard or Valbazen. If they saw tape segments they would need praziquantel. If they saw maggots, lol, they would just need to clean up their poop. But if what they saw were large roundworms they could use Wazine (piperazine), and if their birds drink enough of the medicated water that should do the trick.

Last edited:
If Birds are acting healthy, no visible worms in feces, no worms seen on necropsy. IMO, I'll not treat. If I see visible worms (and I'm always looking at their poop) then I'll make a decision re: worming them. It's said that 10% of the flock or the herd bear 90% of the parasites. If you continually remove the weak flock members, you are most likely removing the parasite/disease vectors, and breeding forward towards a healthier, more resistant flock. Also, one can do much to improve the health of the property: Deep litter management. Improve the health of the chicken's gut: Fermented feed. Improve the access to natural helminthics in their range.

Back
Top Bottom