I got a puppy! The 1st one in 16 yrs!** New pics! post 53**

Yeah, keep an eye on her interactions with the chickens. Both wolves AND German Shepherds have a pretty high prey drive - so chances are that as she gets older, she will start seeing the chickens as prey. Better to stop that behavior now than let it escalate... chasing is probably not play, but prey drive kicking in.

nekomi,
Oh your dogs are beautiful! Thank you for sharing pics! I really don't mind the percentage. I would rather her look like the GSD It is easier to say she is a GS.
wink.png
Around here lots of people shoot them ask questions. I keep telling my DH she needs to be inside with me.
smile.png
You know so I can keep an eye on her.
wink.png
I have been taking her lots of places with me. I meet one of the BYC members (she had a wolf hybrid) and she told me to socialize, socialize, socialize!! So I have been doing just that! I take her to all the swaps. To the ballet studio, and to my moms. She has dogs! Thank you for the link. I will be bookmarking that one. It is nice to hear positive comments.
big_smile.png
Thank you!! I am now not letting Bella "play" with the chickens. I have her on a lead and in a very firm voice say NO!!! She has not hurt any....yet! I will be on top of this. Thank you again!

I'm in Ohio too, so I understand the mentality of some folks around here... that's why mine are either indoors, or in their very secure outdoor pen (8' fence with hotwire at top, dig guard underneath, 6 guage chew-proof wire). Definitely not a breed that you want to have roaming free outside, or off-leash!!

You received EXCELLENT advice about the socialization. That is so key!! I wish I could have raised my two from pups... as it is, they were rescued at 2 years old (Willow) and 1 year old (Jasper) so I often find myself playing catchup. Still, I'm fortunate to have two very social and outgoing woofers.
smile.png

I have been telling the DH that Bella "NEEDS" a buddy. LOL He keeps says yes, we have 2 they are called our children!
lau.gif
I found a little 7 week old male at the last swap. He was around 85% I said that I er...I mean Bella
wink.png
wink.png
really needed this play mate. He told me not a chance! One is enough.

I am happy to say Bella is now potty trained. I am not sure I want her to be oping up and dead bolts though.
gig.gif
I am happy with letting her out myself.
big_smile.png
I find that she is a lot smarter than most would credit to. Especially a 12 week old! I used to say "She's a puppy! What do you expect?" But now I am saying, "She's a puppy!!! She needs to learn now!"
wink.png
I know even if she was a pure GSD I would still show her the respect she deserves. I am not in any way scared of her nor are my children. But I do let her have her space when she is eating. I do have her to where I can take a bone from her (I will not allow my children to do this!) she does growl at first but I talk with her, let her know that I will give it right back, I just want to see it. She is IMO doing great. I've had the dogs that you can't be with in 20 feet of while eating and did not want Bella to be one. :cool Thank you again. Say......what part of Ohio? I am NE (Millersburg)

Careful with taking the bone away - that actually TEACHES resource-guarding (food aggression, growling, whatever you want to call it) - it's a common misconception. The best thing to do, especially with wolf hybrids, is "trade up" - approach with something BETTER than her bone (a piece of chicken, a treat, etc.) and as she drops her bone for the treat, say "drop it", and gently pick up her bone while she is munching. After she eats the treat, give her back her bone.

This not only teaches her "drop it", but it also teaches her that when you approach when she's eating or has a bone, you have something better. Doing it the "old fashioned way" and just taking the items away at random doesn't teach anything other than "Mom sometimes takes away my stuff, I'd better guard it harder." Don't worry though, it's a common training mistake.
smile.png

If you want a playmate for Bella, please consider adoption. There are literally dozens of wolf hybrids that are put to sleep each year in Ohio. Working with the rescue, I have the heartbreaking job of trying to find qualified homes for so many of these animals. They are not as rare as you would think - the fact is, irresponsible breeding has put their numbers at an all-time high, and so many end up in rescue when their owners realize that they are more than they bargained for.

Just since the beginning of 2009, there have been 10 wolf hybrids in urgent need of rescue in this state. It seems to be getting worse every year.

I'm in NE Ohio too - a lot further north than you, though - north of Mansfield and Akron.
smile.png

What I do is give her a treat. They are little "T" bone steak shaped treats. She drops the bone so I can "see" what she has. I always give her the treat, then give her bone right back and say "OH!! Thank you Bella!! Mommy just wanted see what you had! GOOD GIRL!!!" I let her know that what she did was very good.
smile.png

I will let the DH know about adoption. I had no clue there were that many in need of homes.
sad.png
Poor babies. I wish I could take them all.

OK, cool - sounds like we're on the same page.
smile.png
smile.png
Just wanted to make sure, since a resource-guarding wolfdog is NO fun (speaking from experience here).

Have fun with Bella
smile.png

That is cool....be dominant even when she's a puppy...my dad had a friend with a 50/50 husky/wolf and as a young pup it had hige paws. I would like to see how much her feet grow. They must be huge if she has enough wolf in her.

Quote:
i have a wolfdog as they are called if treated with respect and have good training and the owner always remains the "alpha" and the wolfdog knows this you wont have a problem. i have had mine since he was 6 weeks old his mom was husky/wolf his dad was wolf. heres a pic of Mieko
11044_dscf0433.jpg

11044_dscf0453.jpg

She does have HUGE paws! My mom has a golden retriever. He is 5 her paws are just a titch smaller than his!
ep.gif
I tell Shadow she may be small no0w, but just wait buddy she is gonna be way bigger than you one of these days.
wink.png
They play so good together. I have pics of them playing (really it is only playing!) It looks much worse than just playing.

HPIM8173.jpg

HPIM8179.jpg

HPIM8180.jpg

HPIM8181.jpg

nekomi
I wanted ask (and since you work with them why not?
wink.png
)
I have heard the horror stories about giving them raw meat. I don't give Bella raw meat. But wanted to know your thoughts about it? I eat my steak very rare. I had thought about giving her the trimmings but decided against it. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom