I got a puppy! The 1st one in 16 yrs!** New pics! post 53**

I commend you on the no-people-food thing! This is a strict rule that I also enforce with my dogs (I have two big mutts, rescued from kill shelters and they are the loves of my life), and I am always commended by vets. Dog food is a complete and balanced diet for dogs and table scraps can be harmful to their health... and I have found that if you start from the beginning, never giving them people food, then they do not beg for it and so it's not so hard to deny them
smile.png

Anyway, it sounds like you have a good plan for her... concrete floor of hte kennel is a very good idea. Please post pictures of her as she grows! I would love to see how she turns out
smile.png

I'm hopeful that you had the OFA ratings available to you from the German Shepherd Dog's lineage.

After researching this for someone, I stand by my belief that the wild should be left to be as free as possible. It seems unfair and selfish of humans to keep the wild and beautiful wolf in captivity. In the wild it is survival of the fittest, only the healthiest survive. With wolf hybrids, introducing a possible genetic flaw to the wolf like hip dysplasia breaks my heart. If you want to do the wolf a favor, admire him in his own natural environment. Go to Yellowstone and see how he was born to live. Is it necessary to posess him?

Also, since the predatory instinct is more likely to surface since it hasn't been bred down as far as the domesticated dog, do you really want to have him near your chickens and livestock? (Yes, everyone, I know that the domesticated dog has predatory instincts too.)

For now, what's done is done. You have a wolf hybrid and other people will continue to sell them as long as people will buy them. Please take the necessary precautions. Do your research. Be aware that she is a cute pup now, but her instincts will kick in at a certain age and the sqealing neighbor kids might trigger something in her someday. Maybe, maybe not. Also, start looking for a veterinarian now because most are not licensed to treat wild or hybrid animals. You can fib and say that she is a shepherd mix if she needs treatment, but be aware that the drug companies have not tested their products in canis lupus.

You can argue that it's "all in the way you raise them", but it's undeniable that genetics plays a roughly equal role. I had a Vizsla(bird dog) who was never brought up to hunt but still "pointed" at everything he saw resembling a bird. My personal regret is that I never learned to bird hunt so I could have given him what he was bred to do.

i had a female 75% GSD 25% wolf ? mom was GSD dad was 50/50. very sweet girl, not aggressive, good mother. ( she snuck a visit with my Rotty )
however, i could not have said it any better than lisa:

Quote:

Quote:
I do enjoy seeing animals in the wild.
smile.png
I also have issues with people who know nothing about what they are getting take a pup like her home. If not me it would have been someone else. I have dealt with hip dysplasia. My daughter had it when she was born. I am thinking I will be a bit more understandable than someone else.

Quote:
I got her knowing what she is. K9 They all have it. I plan to have her in a kennel that has a cement floor. And no I do not plan on leaving her in there all the time. She can be taught that they are friends not foes! I will leash train her. Most people get animals and let the animal be in charge. She will know that we are the Alpha NOT her.
smile.png

Quote:
It a good thing we live at the end of a mile long drive way and we have no neighbors with kids.
wink.png
I am friends with the local vet. If she has to come here to treat her then that is fine. I will not "fib" or all out lie. I am not sure what the deal is. Wolves genetic make up is 99% that of a dogs. That is how they are able to breed.

Quote:
It is A LOT in how they are raised. Not 100% but it plays a HUGE role in how they act. When I was younger I had a Pitt Bull. Yes they have bad raps but Bear was not one of those that had one. We raised her that "play biting" is NOT ACCEPTABLE! And I will raise Bella the same way! NO BITING!!! She is not chasing the chickens, she keeps her distance. The guineas and my gander frighten her enough that she will not go in the coop unless I am holding her. I think that is a good habit to start.

Thanks to all the well wishers. She will be raised in a loving home. I did do my home work. I know what she is. I will treat her with respect and accept no less from her.

Edited for typos!
tongue.png

Last edited:
GrotesqueBurgess,
That's a handsome dog in the picture in your post. What breed is he? Redbone? Blood? I can't see the picture very well.

Congrats on the puppy.
thumbsup.gif
So cute. I have two chihuahuas 8 years old, but still running like they are 9 months.

Last edited:
The pictures she has posted on the first page look like some of the hybrid pups we have gotten in to vaccinate at the vet. Time will tell and in all honesty anymore people are paying upwards of $800 for mutts so if it doesn't turn out to be a wolf hybrid
smile.png
she will have a LOVELY dog
smile.png

That being said, all the hybrids we have seen at the vet have been very well mannered. As long as you know what you are getting into and have a firm hand, as with ANY dog, they make great dogs
smile.png
Good luck with your puppy !!!!

Quote:
Wow! You can tell that just by her picture.
hmm.png
Well then maybe you need to contact these people and let them know that they have nothing wolf either.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_love_my_camera/2072624341/in/photostream/
2072624341_c9e847eeb3.jpg

There are her pics with her website. That states they are INDEED wolf hybrid pups. And since you are going only on look well, I think you can see where I am going with this.
old.gif
Bella may not be 50/50 but again going on looks only well she looks identical to this wolf hybrid pup.

HPIM7934.jpg

Back
Top Bottom