I got

DollBoll

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
I got some hatching eggs off of eBay after giving back the chicks I was looking after and they’ve hatched!

I’m not sure how many have hatched as I’ve only seen two (they’re under my silkie) and I don’t want to panic her so I’ve left some food and a waterer near her so the chicks don’t have to travel to far when they’re ready to eat and drink.

I’m going in quite blind I was fine with my uncles chicks because they were under a lamp but these cuties have a mum to look after them!

B5F22E09-050F-4AC5-BE39-D922AA51EC63.jpeg
Take care of mom and she should take care of the chicks.
Thanks for the advice there’s 3 to what I’m aware of but I’ve only seen these two fully how cute

She is very good with them! I do want to hold them but I don’t want to interfere or have my hand bitten off :hmm I supply food and water she does the rest
You should be able to handle any bird in your flock at any time.
'Making friends' with a broody is a good thing to do during incubation.
Bribe her some treats and touch her every day, not for long, and she'll get used to it.

@aart, alas, I have always agreed with you in the past. You have given me such good advice.
I have a broody who loves me when she is sitting. I can move her, feed her, pet her. She is a great mum but when she hatches she becomes a raving lunatic. If I even get near another hen's chicks she has a hissy-fit. She calms down after the 3rd or 4th week or so. Then I start handling the chicks and bribing them with treats.
Hopefully the OP has a calmer hen.
I Definitely agree with you, you do need to be able to handle all your chickens.

You should be able to handle any bird in your flock at any time.
'Making friends' with a broody is a good thing to do during incubation.
Bribe her some treats and touch her every day, not for long, and she'll get used to it.
I haven’t been touching her but I have been giving her a couple of brambles every other day there’s 3 birds of mine that either slap my hand away or will run a mile if she thinks I’m trying to pick her up and I generally only pick them up if they haven’t followed me into their run for food

I haven’t been touching her but I have been giving her a couple of brambles every other day there’s 3 birds of mine that either slap my hand away or will run a mile if she thinks I’m trying to pick her up and I generally only pick them up if they haven’t followed me into their run for food
With a broody on the nest just gently stroke her waddles, she may nip you but stay calm.
Doing this a couple times a day for short duration, just a few minutes at most, and she will get used to you touching her, then you can gently lift her breast up to peek at eggs.

@aart, alas, I have always agreed with you in the past. You have given me such good advice.
I have a broody who loves me when she is sitting. I can move her, feed her, pet her. She is a great mum but when she hatches she becomes a raving lunatic. If I even get near another hen's chicks she has a hissy-fit. She calms down after the 3rd or 4th week or so. Then I start handling the chicks and bribing them with treats.
Hopefully the OP has a calmer hen.
I Definitely agree with you, you do need to be able to handle all your chickens.

This is soo my broody BCM hen right now. It's her first brood and I was beyond shocked that I can manipulate her to candle the eggs without getting a good pecking. Will be interested to see if she goes insane towards me post hatch. I'd be fine with that as long as she didn't kill the chicks or something.

Back
Top Bottom