I had a raccoon raid last night-no casualties

hayley3

Free Ranging
16 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Louisville, Kentucky
I have to wonder how many were out in my barn but they made a mess...they knocked the pitchfork in front of the door so it was blocking the door and I could barely get in. There had to be a lot of them, it looked like what you see in a Disney movie, everything had been knocked over. I had wind chimes on the wire so I could hear if they were climbing on it, and they knocked those to the ground. They were all over the barn, turning over bowls of water, eggshell bowls, etc. The one night I turn off the audio, because I was sick, they show up. The thing that amazed me, is they only dug the dirt at the chickens door. And the ground is so hard there I can't use a shovel but the raccoons dug up big clods of clay and if I hadn't placed a 2x4 there, they would've gotten in. That is how powerful they are.

So I'm assuming the raccoon babies are out with their mothers already. This is my first attack where there were many and thankfully my chickens are okay but they have weakened my security. So the moral of this story is leave your monitor on esp during June! :)

Start ramping up your defences. They can many times targeting feed while exploring a little with each visit. They can readily shift to chickens still. The baby monitor served its purpose with your first detection of their visits. Now work to stop the visits.

Thanks....I keep my feed in the garage and last year they tore up my garage door. They also dug under the chicken stall in the barn and got one of my chickens but we got out there in time to save her. This year they can't dig under on that side because I put down plywood and then set concrete blocks on top. I have a camera set up so we'll see if they return.

Back
Top Bottom