I HATCHED A CRACKED EGG

Well did it hatch yet?
roll.png

Sorry, been out of town and haven't had access to a computer to update. Yes, she hatched.
ya.gif
It took her forever, or at least what seemed like forever to zip and kick out but she made it OK. A little weak and wobbly for the first couple of days but doing just fine now.

I just had her, along with her sister, outside with their three older (by 10 days) brothers and she was picking on all the bigger goslings. She's feisty!!

Here she is outside already.............
15777_100_1185.jpg

This is another little girl from the same hatch..............
15777_100_1184.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry, been out of town without access to a computer for a few days.

I use a Top Hatch TH120. It cost less than $200, is forced air, holds steady temp. fairly well, and has an auto turner.
Drawbacks are:
1. The light bulb is not enclosed all the way up to the lid which could possibly burn beaks and bills.
2. The wire bottom is kind of flimsy allowing it to bend near the center tower and edges. (Leaving the turner rack in during hatch will prevent this but also causes the babies to trip and fall all over the place.)
3. I've never been able to get the humidity above 69% even with tons of sponges, paper towels, etc.
It wouldn't be hard to totally enclose the bulb or strengthen the edges of the wire with paper towels allowing for the turner rack to be removed, I've just been too lazy to do it as of yet.
hmm.png

This is the first year I've ever tried incubating eggs. Out of three seperate batches of goose eggs this year, I've had one 75% and two 100% hatch rates. Beginners luck or a good incubator??
idunno.gif

I have hatched 2 cracked eggs. One I cut a plastic sandwich bag and then added scotch tape, worked great. The other cracked 1 1/2 weeks before hatch day, so I just left it alone and she hatched fine. I just kept checking to see if she was still kicking inside.

Quote:
Sorry, been out of town without access to a computer for a few days.

I use a Top Hatch TH120. It cost less than $200, is forced air, holds steady temp. fairly well, and has an auto turner.
Drawbacks are:
1. The light bulb is not enclosed all the way up to the lid which could possibly burn beaks and bills.
2. The wire bottom is kind of flimsy allowing it to bend near the center tower and edges. (Leaving the turner rack in during hatch will prevent this but also causes the babies to trip and fall all over the place.)
3. I've never been able to get the humidity above 69% even with tons of sponges, paper towels, etc.
It wouldn't be hard to totally enclose the bulb or strengthen the edges of the wire with paper towels allowing for the turner rack to be removed, I've just been too lazy to do it as of yet.
hmm.png

This is the first year I've ever tried incubating eggs. Out of three seperate batches of goose eggs this year, I've had one 75% and two 100% hatch rates. Beginners luck or a good incubator??
idunno.gif

I have a Top hatch TH120 too! Mine has a sturdy plastic bottom, but I agree with all of the above. I also find it noisy, and the ball bearings for the turner are easy to lose. I have had decent luck with it though. Your new baby is sweet!

Last edited:
well, one of my 6 geese eggs got a small crack in it. put clear finger nail polish on it to seal and put it back in the incubator.
fl.gif

to all you goose experts out there, do you really let your eggs cool each day for about 15 minutes? then mist? never tried waterfowl before and am having "nervous twitches" about letting my hatching eggs cool down....LOL

don

Back
Top Bottom