I hate leghorns

dawg53, right on the money. They were bred and raised to be efficient egglaying machines-not pets. Please research your breeds prior to purchase. Buying leghorns for backyard pets is like buying a border collie for an apartment dog. Just "don't make no sense."

I have 1 leghorn. I only clipped her wings on 1 side so if she tries to flap, she can't get airborne. She gets maybe 1-2 feet off the ground & just goes in circles. I can tell it frustrates her. Too bad. There's a big dog on the other side of the fence that will make a quick snack outta her if she gets out. I'd rather have her being slightly inconvenienced than dead.

But yeah, if I'd known before I got her what I know now, I probably would have thought twice about getting her. I have a flock that all lays a different colored egg & I just wanted one that lays white eggs & lots of 'em! She's gonna be good for that, I can tell. Hopefully it won't be much longer now. She's about 13-14 weeks (she was 6-7 weeks when I got her, and I've had her for 7 weeks as of today).

Crazy leghorns.

My two leghorns are total sweeties. They were handled when they were young, so they are no more excitable than any of my other chickens. Upbringing has something to do with it.

We had a very friendly Leghorn once, she would come up and sit with us anytime we came out. She was one out of one dozen crazy Leghorns and although we hung with them all, she was the only one that ever got friendly.

Last edited:
Mine are also very skittish....I hand raised all my girls and most walk under my feet when I am in the yard. Not the leghorns.....they start running around wildly before I even get near the run door...they sometimes rile up an EE...but mostly I just let them be....my barred rock girls are SO SUPER SWEET!! I give them all the attention they want...

Wow I wouldn't know what to do if my girls were flighty. I started by pickin mine up and holden em. I slip my fingers between their legs and let them dangle between my fingers like a wine glass, and carry them around with you.

My leghorns come right up into the house, and will roost on a chair, or the couch. My other girls the EE's and BR's run from me, lol. My Bo's, Del's, RIR's, & leghorns are the friendliest.

There's sure to be a pick or two of my leghorns on my BYC page chillin in the house with us.

Bantam Leghorns are awesome pets and laying hens. Never had any problems with them. One hen did crow when she got older.

If you really don't like them, then sell them and get what you want. Get an incubator if you don't have one, and hatch some of the great breeds from sellers here on BYC.

Moose, my welsummer rooster from Bargain's stock:
IMG_3086.jpg

And one of my girls:
IMG_3089.jpg

If you like Orps, you'll love Splash Orps! (and you can get blue too) Here's a boy I hatched from gumpsgirls stock - he's still young only 16 weeks:
IMG_3071.jpg

Love my BCM girls - she is from Gabbard Farms:
IMG_3097.jpg

And my pure Ameraucana sweeties. Most of them love to be held.
IMG_2919.jpg

You know its funny because the sweetest hen we have is our leghorn, Pearl. She runs to my grandson the second he enters the run. She sits on his lap, nibbles his ears and tweaks his nose. She comes running when I call her too.

And I agree with others that said that their eggs can't be beat. We only have the one Leghorn girl but we love her to pieces!

Laurie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom