I hate rodents!!

MeatKing

Songster
10 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Near Ottawa Ontario Canada
So we have something living in our house again
sad.png
I hate this time of year!! They can all stay outside as far as I'm concerned! Their eating the posion, and I got one on a sticky trap, it's either a mouse or a baby rat
sad.png
I can't tell the difference. I just hate it, it's soo gross. We have an old farm house, and there's way too many holes around to go plugging stuff. Why oh why, can't they be the endangered species. Any ideas anyone? We already keep the house cleaned, garbage away ect. This weekend I will start putting all our food into glass jars again. We have sticky traps, snap traps, posion, and the old pail, peanut butter, drowning trick.. Any other ideas? Would love to get a cat, but I"m sure my dog would eat it.
thanks for letting me vent people

Yes I do have a suggestion. Take your dog with you to the shelter and pick a cat the he seems agreeable with. He can pick his own. I have had the WORST mouse problem and the moment my cat came home with us I haven't seen another one. ANd no mouse poops either. He is doing his job well.

rebelcowboysnb
I read that post , that's crazy... I guess the mice like the warmeth? Crazy!!!

I hope you got him!! I'm thinking about bringing a baby kitten around to see what my german shepered will do. He surprized me with the chickens, he seems to not mind them too much... Maybe he will like the cat?

Last edited:
Ok this may sound crazy but I swear by it. We live next to an open lot and have railroad tracks across the road so every winter we were over run with mice once in a while a rat. about 2 years ago my daughter got her first pet rat followed by more. since she has had the rats we have not seen a mouse. I dont know if they can smell that there are rats here and dont come in or what. I know I have seen some in the garage but not in the house. I was also told that moth balls deter mice. Dont know how true that is though.

The co-op sells this stuff they call bar bait. It works.
I live out in the country.
Use steel wool around any pipes or holes that you can find. They can't eat through it.
And we adopted a stray cat that someone else had been feeding until they had to move. She came into our home and we had a rat terrier at the time. Things worked out between them.

I hate it but this is the time of year when they try to get in for the winter.

Good Luck....

Why not set snap traps instead of poison? Especially if you have a dog in the house, if they eat the dead mouse they will be poisoned too and warfarin toxicity is "easy" to fix but not cheap and very very hard on the dog. Snap traps are more humane to the rodent, one snap and its done (usually). Glue traps are awful
sad.png

Quote:
I've had to secure an old building before. I used that expandable foam in a can, there are several brands, and sealed up every crack, nook, and cranny. For most holes I wedged in steel wool and/or window screen bits, then foamed the crack. After a couple days you can use a bread knife type blade to trim it back and paint or otherwise cosmetic cover. After the outside is sealed, then placed baited traps everywhere for a while till all rodents are gone, I've used the standard snap trap, electric trap and glue traps, they all seem to work. Our inside cat did catch a mouse and DW grabbed the cat with the mouse still dangling alive and carried the cat outside shaking it and screaming: "let it go, let it go" I would of helped but was incapacitated with laughter.

I think I read a thread on here once about poison called Just One Bite. It is supposed to kill and decay without the smell and will not harm other animals if they eat the dead rat/mouse.

When we built the house, I put roof flashing (a thin tin) completely around
the bottom of all the walls. It's rare that we have a mouse.

No inside cats. Do have outside cats. Indoor dog, Jack Russell.

Back
Top Bottom