I HATE SQUIRRELS! AND THEY ARE NOT CUTE!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by country lady, May 10, 2009.

1. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    They are destructive little rodents, that's what they are! And I would have more to say about the little "precious creatures" if children did not read this website. Gardens and squirrels are NOT compatible!

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    I had them in my back porch once. They made a hole right in the wall on one of the shelfs and had babies!! [​IMG] We did not use this porch much, by the time we realized what was going on, they had already made their way up to the 2nd floor!! We have moved since then. [​IMG]

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I basically agree with you. The real problem may be that you just have too many squirrels. Using two live traps and black sunflower seeds as bait, I removed over 50 squirrels from my back yard in less than a month. Prior to the trapping program, it was not unusual to see 5 squirrels playing in my back yard at any one time. Afterwards they were still around but greatly thinned out. I even got my neighbor hooked on trapping them so he helped keep the numbers down. The damage they did to our houses and plants dropped tremendously.

You do have to take them at least 7 miles away before release or they will find their way back home. And in some states, it is illegal to relocate and release them.

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I love squirrels. I want one as a pet...

5. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Yes. they will destroy all your peaches or other fruit, they damage oak trees, tease the dogs, chase away wild birds from birds feeders,

just plain nuisance vermin.

I .22 them.

6. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lol, Yes I think squirrels are cute, however the damage they cause is FAR from cute. We had some that chewed their way into my roof a long time ago, however the neighborhood cat patrol has cut down on the problem [​IMG]. Now that the population is reduced and they stick to living in trees, they are super cute again. [​IMG] hehe.

7. The Wolf Queen

The Wolf Queen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    One sentence. Get a BB gun and SHOOT them! They will either A. die or B. Leave

8. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Quote:I have one as a pet. You need to handle them constantly, though, or else like all wild animals, they turn mean. I can still handle mine, but she will bite anyone else who tries to handle her. A word of advice. If you do get one, do not feed it all corn and nuts like I did. I almost killed it. They need mainly greens, fruits, and veggies, with corn and nuts ONLY as treats.

9. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    There are dozens of squirrels in my yard all the time. I haven't had any damage or noticed them get in anything but the trees. But i live in the woods. I was wondering if they could become a problem.

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    We trained on to come inside and sit on our laps to eat pecans. Got a pic somewhere. They are surprisingly light weight, and their feet are very warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by