I have a question about this...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Litheria, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Litheria

Litheria New Egg

Sep 13, 2010
    I am looking to adopt a rooster and a chicken and found this ad that states:

They have gained their adult feathers recently, and are pretty much full grown at under 1 pound.

I was wondering if anyone knows how much bigger they will get? She claims that they are about the size of a dove and won't get much bigger than that but my mother is telling me that they are going to get much bigger. If someone knows the answer I would appreciate it. Also, she claims that they just "peep" and won't make any other noises. To my understanding roosters crow and get very loud.

2. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

The roo WILL crow but if they are small at this point they will probably stay pretty small. They will stop peeping at 6 months.

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Perhaps they are bantams, or banties, which don't get very big. They are like miniature chickens. Even so, the rooster will crow like his full grown counterpart.

4. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    What breed and exactly how old are they?

No.. I would not believe anyone who says their rooster will not crow.

5. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Same [​IMG]

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    To me I would think that the poster of the ad had banty chicks for sale. I guess that I would ask the ad poster what breed of chicken that they are, and then research the breed. That would be the best way to know how big that they are going to be as adult birds. If they have only recently gotten their feathers in I would then guess that the chicks ages are going to be about 6 weeks old. I would give that estimate a fews weeks in either direction.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You are so right about roosters crowing. They all do.

8. mydog8it

mydog8it Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    It's not just the roosters, either. We got some silkie chicks a couple of years ago because we were told they were super quite. Well, they're quiet most of the time, but when those girls get upset about something (ie: someone else is sitting on the nest, there's a sparrow hovering around the coop, it's getting dark, the dog runs by and scares them... or someone just woke up on the wrong side of the coop that day) they squawk and begawk and they are LOUD.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, find out breed and are there any pictures. I doubt they are seramas, and a rooster will crow anyway. Sounds fishy

10. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:That is so funny! [​IMG] I really want silkies next spring.

Sounds like they may be bantam chickens. Check to find out from the seller, esp if they have the parent birds available to look at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by